FRONT DISC CONVERSION (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OKAY JUST BOUGHT A 68' FJ40. CAME WITH A EXTRA FRONT AXLE SET UP FOR DISC. ITS ALL IN PIECES AND APPEARS TO HAVE EVERYTHING BUT THE THIRD MEMBER. INSTEAD OF BUYING A THIRD MEMBER OR PULLING MY CURRENT AXLE AND INSTALLING THE OTHER AXLE WOULD JUST LIKE TO INSTALL THE CONVERSION ON CURRENT AXLE. COULD ANYONE TELL ME EVERYTHING I NEED TO DO THIS? WANT TO MAKE SURE I HAVE ALL THE PIECES. DIDN'T SEE INFO ON THIS IN TECH.

THANKS,

Here is stuff non-ax;e related.
'68 is without a booster, this will mean that you need to rig a booster and a post 7/70 booster/dual res. master cylinder. Best setup would be a tandem booster after 9/75 with matching cylinder, more powerful booster and you don;t have to remove the residual pressure valve from the front output of the master.

PARDON ME FOR BEING STUPID. JUST LEARNING. BEINGS MINE IS A 68' CAN I JUST TAKE OFF THE HUB ASSEMBLY REPLACE IT WITH THE HUB ASSEMBLY OFF THE NEWER AXLE? AND THEN HOOK UP ALL THE ABOVE. YOU CAN PROB TELL I'M NO MECHANIC. I HAVE ALL THE ABOVE BUT I'M UNAWARE OF HOW COMPATIBLE EVERYTHING AXLE WISE IS. I'VE NEVER TORE INTO AN AXLE BEFORE.

Re-check the tech section. There is a great description on what to do. I used it to do my front brakes. It worked great.

You don't need a booster, but you may find that you want one.  Basically you should upgrade your brake system from single to dual circuit with an appropriate master cylinder.

If you're sticking with rear drums, you can use a later model TLC master or mini or fj80, etc.  Lots of options.  You can use a dual circuit drum master cyl if you want.  Just pull the check valve out of the front circuit.

For my disc conversion, I used knuckles, hubs, and birfields from a 1981 mini.  I got fj60 vented rotors ('81 to '90 TLC), and calipers from a '93 V6 mini.  Master cylinder is from a '93 V6 also.

You can then decide what to do with the brake lines.  I made up new ones and went with the mini setup (hose out to caliper) versus TLC setup (hose out to axle).

Important point is to match up your brake setup with master cylinder.  You'll need to grind a little on the axle housing to fit the larger mini birfields. You'll need an adapter to bring the booster past the firewall rib if you go with a booster.

knuckle parts used on a bare housing from 1968 until 1983 on a FJ40 will swap over exactly.

Another option is to just swap center sections when you swap axles across.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom