Front Differential Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing regular oil change last night and saw a leak around the front diff pumpkin. It seems it is coming from around the seal. I re-torqued the bolts, all were fine at 20 lbs-ft.
The diff oil was due for a change anyway so I thought might as well do it. What I noticed when I removed the filler plug was a hissing sound like there was some pressure inside. which surprised me since it is supposed to be a static, closed-system.

Now, I read somewhere in previous posts that there's a "breather" tube to the differential. Could it be plugged and pressure have been building up inside and forced the oil out?
Is the breather tube present in both locked and unlocked differentials? (mine is unlocked)

If the breather tube is there, where it is? I couldn't seem to find it, can someone please post a pic or tell me how to locate it..

:cheers:

Yep, your breather is plugged. Air pressure increases when the axle gets hot. The breather tube is on the DS axle tube. It's a rubber hose that goes to a funny looking plastic box on the frame. Unplug it from the funky box and the axle, blow through it to make sure it's not plugged and then by a different 1 way vent to cap off the hose. Chances are your funky plastic box is what is causing the problems...

Thanks Chad..
DS is a relative term. Mine is Right-Hand drive :D

I will check the breather today..Most likely the culprit. Do you recommend any specific type of one-way vent? Where to buy it from? Napa??

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom