Front differential fluid issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 94 LC recently and finally got around to draining and refilling the differentials and transfer case. I went with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90.

Rear differential and transfer case old fluid was not bad. It was cloudy/smokey but not black.

The front differential was a whole different story. The old fluid was like black muddy water. It did not even look like gear oil. I'm afraid the differential itself was compromise by Birf lube/grease.

Has anyone had the issue where the front diff fluid was contaminated? What issues would I run into if my birf was going and leaking grease into my front differential?

BTW .. it's a 94 with only 83K miles

one more item ... there's a guard/shield that protects the drain plug on the transfer case. It's held on by 3 bolts. Only two bolts were there. The 3rd bolt was snapped off at the head. I snapped another bolt removing the shield. My question .. what's the best way to remove the snapped bolts? I assume I have to drill them out? If yes, what's the best type of drill bit to use? I want to eventually reinstall the shield but need to remove the 2 snapped bolts.

TIA

Drill them out and retap the holes.

Check your front diff fluid again in 6 months or so. If it's got grease in it again, you probably need to do a front axle job. Shoot some grease in the knuckles if it needs some.

Spray the broken bolts in PB Blaster/WD40/etc... and use a bolt extractor (i.e. easy out) to remove them. Run a correct size tap or even a slotted new bolt to clean out the threads.

Khoi,

Grease contaminated front diff fluid is normal on a stock truck. If you haven't done the diff breather mod, do it now (or at least remove the rubber flap on the breather valve). My diff fluid was in much better shape after doing this.

Frank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom