Front Differential Bushing Replacement & required gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

prwillard2

SILVER Star
Threads
Going to be replacing my front differential bushing, but because I don't have all the tools to chisel out the old bushing, I figured the easiest and fastest way was to get the whole bushing/cover that is sold by Toyota, see link here: Axle Cover - Toyota (41108-60011) | Toyota Parts

My question then is does this require a gasket? I cannot find it listed anywhere, but don't want to crack open my front diff to replace the cover/bushing and then be screwed because I don't have the gasket.

Anyone done this before?

if you read thru the threads on front diff cover bushing, some guys (myself included) just used a hammer and chisel. Do you have basic hand tools? If you're thinking you need an air chisel, it's not mandatory. You do want to have a ball joint press, you can get that on Amazon for like 50...

if you read thru the threads on front diff cover bushing, some guys (myself included) just used a hammer and chisel. Do you have basic hand tools? If you're thinking you need an air chisel, it's not mandatory. You do want to have a ball joint press, you can get that on Amazon for like 50...

Got basic hand tools no issues. But I've already got the whole cover listed above.

sorry didn't catch you already purchased the cover, you doing the other two front diff bushings/arms?

Yes. Plan to do all 3 when I put in my lift and diff drop

Going to be replacing my front differential bushing, but because I don't have all the tools to chisel out the old bushing, I figured the easiest and fastest way was to get the whole bushing/cover that is sold by Toyota, see link here: Axle Cover - Toyota (41108-60011) | Toyota Parts

My question then is does this require a gasket? I cannot find it listed anywhere, but don't want to crack open my front diff to replace the cover/bushing and then be screwed because I don't have the gasket.

Anyone done this before?
Do you happen to have the Toyota part numbers for the other two bushings?

Thank you for your help,

I probably need to do the front diff gasket replacement, so what should I do? take off the whole front diff? or some way do it with front diff on the car?
Why?

You saw the picture I post today earlier, I will follow your suggestion: do the valve cover first then clean up the oil mark and monitor it. But if I still get wet on the front diff cover, then I probably have a leaking front diff cover gasket, and you can see from the pic, seems somebody did this before, there is a piece white/yellow seal material left over there. And what is the "FSM" you guys talked about frequently, is it a kind of repair manual?

1613113684875.png

You saw the picture I post today earlier, I will follow your suggestion: do the valve cover first then clean up the oil mark and monitor it. But if I still get wet on the front diff cover, then I probably have a leaking front diff cover gasket, and you can see from the pic, seems somebody did this before, there is a piece white/yellow seal material left over there. And what is the "FSM" you guys talked about frequently, is it a kind of repair manual?

View attachment 2583010
FSM = Factory Service Manual. See here: https://lc100e.github.io/manual/

I don’t see white/yellow material in that photo. The Orange material at the bottom of the mating surface between the cover and housing is the “gasket”. This is actually Toyota’s FIPG sealant, not a gasket. Rare for this to leak.

FSM = Factory Service Manual. See here: https://lc100e.github.io/manual/

I don’t see white/yellow material in that photo. The Orange material at the bottom of the mating surface between the cover and housing is the “gasket”. This is actually Toyota’s FIPG sealant, not a gasket. Rare for this to leak.
Thanks, by the way, I have "color weakness" ~so I said it is white/yellow. I hope the leaking is not from there. does the FSM have some info about how to deal with that cover/housing leaking?

Thanks, by the way, I have "color weakness" ~so I said it is white/yellow.
Whoops. My bad!
I hope the leaking is not from there.
I doubt it is. More likely to be engine oil or power steering fluid dripping down from above, or gear oil seeping out of one of the diff-axle seals.
does the FSM have some info about how to deal with that cover/housing leaking?
Yes and no. It shows the components and walks you through disassembly/reassembly with the diff removed from the truck. However, you can pull the diff cover off and replace the FIPG with new without pulling the diff out of the truck. @Somebodyelse5 just did this a few weeks ago.

DBD6B4D1-87EC-4B3F-A54A-9E4BFE910FF9.jpeg

Whoops. My bad!

I doubt it is. More likely to be engine oil or power steering fluid dripping down from above, or gear oil seeping out of one of the diff-axle seals.

Yes and no. It shows the components and walks you through disassembly/reassembly with the diff removed from the truck. However, you can pull the diff cover off and replace the FIPG with new without pulling the diff out of the truck. @Somebodyelse5 just did this a few weeks ago.

View attachment 2583020
Thanks! Yes it very likely is "engine oil or power steering fluid", I had small valve cover leaking and the power steering hoses and reservoir just craked and been replaced a couple of weeks ago, power steering oil everywhere at that time, I could say it covered the whole passenger side cv axle very good chance it is just the power steering oil. I already cleaned the front diff cover using brake cleaner today, let's see if it come back. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom