Front diff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, we all know that standard open 80 series high pinions can be a weak link especially in reverse... we all know that throwing an ARB carrier in there will strengthen it up

i'm wondering do the FACTORY E lockers have the same strength issues as the standard open front? or does the E locker's design address this weakness?

I thought it was the ring and pinion that explode when in reverse. If that's the case then the type of carrier shouldn't matter, since no matter what carrier you have the ring and pinion should be the same. Now if we are talking 100 series that's a different story ;)

That's the way I understand it, also - the coast side of the ring gears is ramped less steeply (this is the side used in reverse), which increases the force trying to push the gears away from each other when torque is applied. Dunno if the force causes actual disengagement and the bang of hitting the next tooth tears teeth off, or if the ring simply grenades under the force, but it's scrap metal.

It runs in my mind though that the locked diffs have something heavier - can't place it.

DougM

The pinion gear moves into the crown wheel causing them to grenade. By fitting a solid pinnion spacer instead of the colapsable type they become much stronger.

IdahoDoug said:
That's the way I understand it, also - the coast side of the ring gears is ramped less steeply (this is the side used in reverse), which increases the force trying to push the gears away from each other when torque is applied. Dunno if the force causes actual disengagement and the bang of hitting the next tooth tears teeth off, or if the ring simply grenades under the force, but it's scrap metal.

It runs in my mind though that the locked diffs have something heavier - can't place it.

DougM

in australia a common fix is to fit the ARB and redo the mounting studs 2mm bigger, because the stronger carrier and the upgraded studs means that it's less likely for the ring gear and pinion to separate under load, meaning more contact patch and strength.

The stronger carrier of the ARB = less deflection under load = less breakage.

I swear though, they must make the Cruiser's that go to Aus out of pot metal or something 'cause they always seem to break. Either that, or you guys are straight up abusive! :flipoff2:

I fitted a solid pinion spacer when I built the front diff for my mini-truck(FJ80 front axle) so hopefully that will help w/ the deflection as well. For now it's got a stock welded carrier, so we'll see if it breaks. I did have the gears cryoed, so hopefully that will help.

Ary

Nothing to add here, except this didn't look like fun. :flipoff2:

HZJ75, 2002 Fins & Things, Moab.
060116171303.jpg

Arya Ebrahimi said:
The stronger carrier of the ARB = less deflection under load = less breakage.

I swear though, they must make the Cruiser's that go to Aus out of pot metal or something 'cause they always seem to break. Either that, or you guys are straight up abusive! :flipoff2:

I fitted a solid pinion spacer when I built the front diff for my mini-truck(FJ80 front axle) so hopefully that will help w/ the deflection as well. For now it's got a stock welded carrier, so we'll see if it breaks. I did have the gears cryoed, so hopefully that will help.

Ary

yep we abuse the fawk out of our rigs... you guys use namby pamby reduction gearing, we use standard gearing and right foot :bounce: :rolleyes: just a bit of friendly smak talk

so are the factory locker carriers stronger than standard open carriers? as strong as ARB's?

we didn't get many over here so no one really knows, but a friend of mine is throwing E lockered 80 diffs (disc to disc) under his 40 and wants to know if he should just get a standard front housing and ARB it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom