Front Diff Side Gear Shaft (Axle tube) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NexusD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello Cruiser heads,
Mad shout out to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters with their great Customer service and speeding rebuild on my 2000 100 series front diff.

History: had a an front axle seal installed wrong by a toyota tech on the drivers side. Wife drove the vehicle for over a year with out telling me of a driveline noise, until i drove it and heard the noise myself (basically a dry diff). drained diff oil, what ever oil was left was like mud with metal chunks...So pulled diff sent it off to Cruiser outfitters to have them rebuild, new bearings and ring and pinion.

In addition, I rebuilt both hubs all new CV axles, bearings, seals etc... basically a new front end. I also had front drive shaft rebuilt and all new mounting supports for the front diff.

the only thing i did not replace is the " side gear shaft and bearing " (see photo) when inspected it the axle shaft was sloppy but nothing that would cause for alarm. the bearing on the other hand was still showing signs of speckled metallic oil residue.
IMG_0892.jpg

Current:
Everything is installed and took it for a test drive... around town i have a noise upon deceleration.... highway speeds at about 70mph i get a grinding/vibration, sounding like a bad bearing. the vibration is right under drivers side floor board. typically i would check wheel bearings and hub spindle nut torque. those are all brand new and torque to the fsm specs.

My next task is to replace the side gear shaft bearing and possibly even the side gear shaft.

How difficult is it to replace with it still in the vehicle? do i need to press the bearing in and out? any tips or tricks?

Thank you

Hello Cruiser heads,
Mad shout out to Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters with their great Customer service and speeding rebuild on my 2000 100 series front diff.

History: had a an front axle seal installed wrong by a toyota tech on the drivers side. Wife drove the vehicle for over a year with out telling me of a driveline noise, until i drove it and heard the noise myself (basically a dry diff). drained diff oil, what ever oil was left was like mud with metal chunks...So pulled diff sent it off to Cruiser outfitters to have them rebuild, new bearings and ring and pinion.

In addition, I rebuilt both hubs all new CV axles, bearings, seals etc... basically a new front end. I also had front drive shaft rebuilt and all new mounting supports for the front diff.

the only thing i did not replace is the " side gear shaft and bearing " (see photo) when inspected it the axle shaft was sloppy but nothing that would cause for alarm. the bearing on the other hand was still showing signs of speckled metallic oil residue. View attachment 2741748

Current:
Everything is installed and took it for a test drive... around town i have a noise upon deceleration.... highway speeds at about 70mph i get a grinding/vibration, sounding like a bad bearing. the vibration is right under drivers side floor board. typically i would check wheel bearings and hub spindle nut torque. those are all brand new and torque to the fsm specs.

My next task is to replace the side gear shaft bearing and possibly even the side gear shaft.

How difficult is it to replace with it still in the vehicle? do i need to press the bearing in and out? any tips or tricks?

Thank you
Hey, did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem on my 04. It is identical to what you mentioned. Right under the drives floor board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom