Front diff probably gone, best options 2021? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2002 lx470 149,000 miles. Stanton Iowa.
Driving down the road today straight and smooth and suddenly something went "not right". Some odd wearing (though not grinding) sound from around the front diff that got dramatically louder with any speed- drove home about 2 miles at less than walking speeds. Drained the diff oil and there were a large amount pencil type metal shavings on the magnet- no chunks though. I had changed the front diff oil 4 months ago and had noticed one or two small shavings so this seems to have clearly gone bad in an increasing manner. I am guessing a bad bearing? For a couple years now when it was below freezing the diff would whine for a minute or two and then quit as it seemed to warm up.

I don't know much about front diffs and have been reading up. I can replace the diff as whole unit myself in my garage but don't want to mess with cracking it open and installing gears or anything myself. As things stand now is it better to try to find a replacement diff from Toyota? Is a rebuild more cost effective with a good shop? I have been reading about changing to nitro gears. Others suggest adding a locker but I have had a hard time finding a firm price installed. Wasn't expecting to have to deal with this this week and trying to find my way.

It'll depend on what you ultimately plan to do. When my front diff blew last Summer, it was the opportune moment to re-gear and add lockers F+R.

If I didn't have tentative plans to re-gear or add lockers, I'd search for a used front diff of the same era (in your case, any 4-speed 100, vs a 5-speed later model).

In all honesty, I'd think you'd be more focused on being shot into space on a giant jet-powered penis.

FYI, I'd stick with a 2000-2002 diff as the 98 and 99 versions were significantly weaker. I have a 2002 diff in my 99 as I and the PO blew up the original off road...

Will double check hub splines. You mean the c clips on the end of CVs?

Affirmative.

Snap Ring.jpg

C_Clips.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom