Front Diff Pinion Seal Leaking After Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys. So I reinstalled a third member in the front diff that had a new pinion, ring gear and kit installed. Pretty sure I fracked the axle seal on one side putting it together. Drove a few hundred miles then took it in for some tire work and found out the pinion seal was leaking profusely.

When I opened the fill nut I discovered moly grease n the gear oil so obviously I had damaged an axle seal but why would that cause a pinion seal to leak? Normally oil gets into the knuckle and that starts to leak. If I had put too much moly grease in the steering knuckle would this warm up and force gear oil through a pinion seal?

Anyone have experience with this?

Is breather vent clean on the DS top of the axle?

If that is plugged, pressure can build up and fluid will take the path of least resistance out. Maybe the pinion seal was that path.

If the breather checks out and it's still leaking, it's entirely possible that pinion seal was bad out of the box--or got damaged on install. It certainly wouldn't be the first time if that's the case.

The companion flange may have a wear groove where the seal has ridden in the past, that is if it wasn’t replaced during the rebuild.

All good answers, thanks. I'll check the breather and if it's good I have warranty on the pinion seal installation work.

I've extended both diff breathers into the engine compartment some time ago but it may have plugged off with grease flinging around in there.

Is breather vent clean on the DS top of the axle?

If that is plugged, pressure can build up and fluid will take the path of least resistance out. Maybe the pinion seal was that path.

Yep that was the problem. Grease flung into the vent fitting and plugged it off. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom