front diff on 1997 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 80 series Landcruiser, the vehicle drive fine in reverse; but when it comes to drive it stops and goes.... I noticed the jerking up front, pulled off the front drive shaft --- isolated the problem to the front differential gears... (I had the rear axles and "pumkin", not a difficult project... but time consuming)....my question is how tough is the front to pull apart.... any special tools required.... It appears to be a little more complicated than the rear.... but I don't think its worth the labor the pro's are charging. Thanks in advance

If you are going that deep, do your front axle service and then you are good for many miles. Strange that all is good in reverse and not in the forward motion. Not that many special tools except the big nut socket (54mm I believe). Since you have removed the rear axles, most all is the same, except the retainer for the rear bearing. It may be good to get the toyota FSM and wiring guide to have info on hand as to what torque specs and tools are needed for a job. Good luck robbie

being able to drive in reverse has been bugging me too. I thought is was transfer case until the front drive shft was removed. know when you put it in drive the front shaft (out of the transfer case) spins and the front tires are leaving black makes from being pushed from the rear tires.... the front end is definitly locked up..... why ? is still to be determined

when you say front axle service? new bearings, seals anything else.

thanks again

repack the knuckles, birfields and bearings with grease, replace the knuckle seals and especially the inner axle seal,

AKA a birf repack. lots of info on this forum about birf repack, there is even an instructional DVD.

once you have the axle shafts out you can remove the row of nuts arround the 3rd member and remove it, you probably broke the ring and/or pinion.

you will need an FSM

I am pm'ing him on ths side, however if the third member (pumpkin) was removed and the ring and pinion changed, maybe the wrong ratio was stuck back in. So in reverse it would drag the front end, but forward it would push it, making it jump.

I think we need a whole lot better explanation of what's going on. For starters, what happened to the rear axle to require opening it up, and the same for the front? What started this whole thing?

DougM

Fixed it

After reading through lots of topics on MUD... and looking outside the box... it cost me a whopping $3.50 to fix this frustating problem... The passenger side brake caliper was missing the bottom bolt (I assume is rattled out, its been 5k since the brake job).... the problem was the caliper would hang up in the inside of the rim causing it wo lock up the wheel. I was ready to jump into the front third member..... but hesitant because the car would drive in reverse just fine (the caliper would fall back in its intended position). ----

Thanks for all the help.... in some regards glad this happened learned alot about this vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom