Front diff leaks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, my driver's side seal had been slowly leaking, and I'm not sure how many of my rig's 310,000 miles were on that axle, but it's got some definite wear. I rebooted it and replaced the diff seal thinking that I'd buy some time and then use that axle for my spare once I replaced it with a new OEM. After that work, it didn't leak a drop for months. Then I installed a diff drop, and it immediately started leaking worse then before. Obviously that moves up my timeline for axle replacement. I thought that was interesting though, that the thing we do to save stress on our CV axles caused mine to start leaking again. I assume the wear on the axle sealing surface was aligned well enough with the new seal and the diff drop has tweaked it just enough to open up the flood gates. Well, the couple of drops in the driveway gates, but you know what I mean.

can the front diff leak from where the drive shaft connects (not the main one)?

YES!
Terminology:
FDS (front drive shaft. AKA CV)
Propeller shafts forward & AFT (AKA drive shaft front and rear)

Is there a write up on the diff to shaft seal? I couldn’t find one.
If you're talking about the shaft that connects to your wheel hub from the side of the differential, then search for CV axle replacement threads. The seals are different between the driver/passenger side.

If you're talking about the shaft that connects to your wheel hub from the side of the differential, then search for CV axle replacement threads. The seals are different between the driver/passenger side.
Forward drive shaft to front diff. Not the CV to diff deals.

Yes, just search mud. You'll find a few threads dealing with the front differential input shaft seal.

But I'd first make sure the breather clear. Then add AT-205. You may find leak stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom