Front diff fill/drain plugs 99 LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

shtbrwn86

SILVER Star
Threads
I did some searching and didn't really come up with the answer to my question....

I just pulled my passenger CV axle out of my 99 LX and thought I would loosen the diff fill/drain plugs while the axle is out so I can change the fluid. The issue is that I can't get fill plug loose! I read a few posts about this, along with some strategies, but they were talking about the 570, so not sure if they switched plugs on the 200-series.

What I wanted to start with was to just make sure I am using the correct bit. I am using a T55 on a breaker bar but I REALLY don't want to strip that plug. I soaked it in PB a week ago but it won't budge.

Last summer I stripped out the bolts on my 88 4Runner front diff, but that was still sealed up. I lost a decent amount of fluid when I pulled the CV axle so I need to know I can get the fill bolt out before I do anything else!

IMG_1379.jpg

That looks like a hex (Allen) wrench plug/bolt, not a Torx!

That looks like a hex (Allen) wrench plug/bolt, not a Torx!
Edit: according to the Wits End site @NLXTACY says these plugs use a 10mm hex. I’m assuming my diff plugs are the same as these?

F66C4746-5297-4BBA-92B7-F8B5D76910A2.png

I striped mine, took it to a shop and they welded a 14mm nut to it.
Best thing ever.

Yeah, very likely would have ruined the plug.
Came very close actually! Bought a 10mm hex bit and it fit just fine in the drain plug but not the full plug. The torx must have started to deform it. Luckily I was able to take an extension and hammer the bit in enough to where I could break it free with a breaker bar and some longer pipe for leverage.

Unreal that it was that tight given the modest torque specs! Lower control arm bolts put up way less of a fight!

Using a long steel rod reach in from the tire well and give the plug a few whacks with a hammer. The aluminum washer will compress slightly and relieve the tension on the threads. After doing that you will be able to almost unscrew the plug by hand.
Same with the drain plug. A couple of taps with a hammer, done. No need to strip anything.
Same deal on rear diff plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom