Front Diff Drop Kit ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody used or thought about using the 1" Front Dif Drop Kit for lifted FJs. I am doing the OME lift an considered reducing the angles on c.v. axles and boots, but didn't know if necessary or desirable. Thoughts ??

I have loooked at one here :

http://www.toyteclifts.com/fjcruisercart.html

at the bottom of the page.

Thanks !!! I'm a newbie but love the site !!!

Well, The FJ don't has free hub. So the CV joint are always running...

With, the lift kit, it is a good idea to install an unexpensive diff drop kit. I bought the one from ToyTecLift but, like my lift kit, its not installed yet. My week end project if that cold rain/thawing snow can stop.

At high speed, it would make your joint last longer.
Off-roading your joint will be stronger...

It's unexpensive and it don't seem to be a big job to install...

I was looking at that a while back myself. I was told that it was more for the Tacoma and 4 Runner due to the angles you get on the CV shafts when you lift those trucks. They built the FJ with a little bit more room on the front so the angles aren't as bad. I would say you should be fine with the OME kit and no drop bracket but it couldn't hurt to run it. But if you do run it you are getting better angles on the CV shafts but the angle on the drive shaft will be increased. Not a lot, but it is something to think about. I would say don't worry about the drop kit unless you are thinking about the OME with a spacer to get more than 3" of lift. Somebody also told me the FJ was made to have a mild lift with no effects on the suspension but who knows for sure. Hope this helps...

Thanks for all the feedback - I think I will try one - still have 2 weeks+ for my All-Pro upper and lower links to come in, so I may as well spend the 29 bones for the extra piece of mind. Thanks for all the feedback !!

As this would definitely help with the stress on the CV axles, I remember reading somewhere toyota had the angle on the CV joints adjusted a little different from the taco to make it easier on them once you lifted it. Personally I wouldn't worry about it, but piece of mind sometimes is worth 30 bucks.

just keep in mind this will mean less ground clearance gained from the lift. a major advantage of IFS over SFA is having that diff higher up. if you plan to do a lot of rock crawlin its somthing to consider.

just keep in mind this will mean less ground clearance gained from the lift. a major advantage of IFS over SFA is having that diff higher up. if you plan to do a lot of rock crawlin its somthing to consider.
I plan on running 35's, so hopefully that will make up for the difference of the 1" lower diff. I'll post pics in a few weeks when everything is here !!!

Thanks again for all the feedback.

fjtex,
SFA is the way to go for hardcore rockcrawling. The front diff is part of the axle; it moves up w/ the tires

I agree, I would not do a diff drop unless it was truly necessary. As fjtex says, you will loose the ground clearance that you spent so much $ trying to get in the first place.
no matter what you have, with a diff drop, you will always be 1" lower than you could be. so w/ 35's you will have the same clearance as a FJC running 285's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom