Front Diff Axle Seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going through my front diff right now and putting new bushings and seals in. When you install the axle seals I've read that they should be 5.5mm in. My question is when you have a straight edge over the the edge of the axle tube and diff should the inner lips of the seals touch it or be just above/below? I don't have anything I can use to measure 5.5 mm. I have the FSM and it has nothing on it, but the illustration looks like the inner lips should be flush with the outside of the housing. I really don't want these to leak like they were. I thought the old ones would be trashed, but when I dropped the diff and looked at them they were in great shape. I'm assuming they were installed too deep.

Last edited:
I'm going through my front diff right now and putting new bushings and seals in. When you install the axle seals I've read that they should be 5.5mm in. My question is when you have a straight edge over the the edge of the axle tube and diff should the inner lips of the seals touch it or be just above/below? I don't have anything I can use to measure 5.5 mm. I have the FSM and it has nothing on it, but the illustration looks like the inner lips should be flush with the outside of the housing. I really don't want these to leak like they were. I thought the old ones would be trashed, but when I dropped the diff and looked at them they were in great shape. I'm assuming they were installed too deep.

The inner lips of the seal should be proud of the axle tube. I’d say the outer lips are ever so slightly recessed. This is how I set mine up and I’ve had no issues

ED5D3EA6-9F4F-4881-85DD-81118E073F5A.jpeg

EAADB803-C8B0-459B-92AD-C9251CCE4ADA.jpeg

Thanks. I'm thinking that's the way to go. I saw a post from 2001LC where he says he puts them .5mm out, but not sure if that is outside of the tube/diff like you have or just 5mm in rather than 5.5mm.

Post #33

Two posts further in that thread ( #35 ) shows a picture of the target /reference depth of the “face” of the seal in relationship to the race. The outer edge of the seal is “fractionally” above the edge of the race. This is for seals anywhere on your truck- cams, crank, axles etc.

As I said before in your other thread- in too far will leak, out too far it will leak. Also if out too far it has the chance of shifting/popping outward under a load or tension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom