Front Courtesy Lights won't shut off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driver & Passenger door entry lights and the front dome light (if on door) won't shut off when the doors are closed.

I've been reading as many of the posts as I could find. I ordered two new switches and replaced them. No change. The dome light I can switch off, but the door lights stay on 24/7 which drains the battery.

Anyone know how to trouble shoot this? If it's not the switches what else could it be? Thanks in advance!

Try disconnecting both door switches.

Do the lights still stay on?

I'll try that, but they stayed on while I disconnected one at a time when I swapped out the switches.

If they do stay on what would that mean?

If they do stay on what would that mean?
Wiring issue or possibly alarm unit failure.

If they stay off, then maybe it's a door alignment issue.

Confirming it is this overhead courtesy light that you are referring to.
Is the overhead switch set to door or On?
90E847B3-EF57-461E-94E0-D103BACEBE49.jpeg

Last edited:
Its a 96 LX450. Yes the forward dome light above the front seats / rear seats. AND the entry light in the front door panel on each side.

Just bought it a few months ago. The keys I got do have a keyfob on them to lock/unlock the doors, but it does not work. (Haven't check the batteries yet).

If the forward dome light is set to door, then it stays on all the time, even with the front doors closed. I replaced the front door switches with new OEM ones. The rear dome light and entry door lights work fine. They go on and off with the rear doors and tailgate opening and closing. Just the front doors have the issue.

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
On the Toyotas, they switch the ground side of the switch, so, if there is a failure, it typically fails ON.

So, look for a continuous ground somewhere, probably between the light and the switches. Maybe the wiring in the floor, or leading up to the switches.

Also, try taping a quarter to the face of the switches and closing the door to see if the switch needs pushed more to make contact.

Not sure if it has that, but nothing on the dash says a door is open.

Due to all of the stuff that it runs, the wiring for the switch side is somewhat complex, has diodes, etc. Observing what works or not, may narrow the search. The dash door open warning light should be on when any door is open. The key lock ring light should be on when the driver door is open and not for any of the other doors.

OK got some time to work on it. The key ring light was burnt out. I replaced it and now it's always on along with the door panel lights. So something thinks the door is always open. (Or it's grounded).

I found an audiovox keyless entry under the dash. It only has the door locks wire up. Nothing else. So don't think it's that.

So if the door switches are new Is there any other fuse or rely involved? Something else I can check?

BTW my daughter and I both opened the front doors and push both switches in as far as they would go. The lights stayed on the entire time, didn't even flicker.

OK got some time to work on it. The key ring light was burnt out. I replaced it and now it's always on along with the door panel lights. So something thinks the door is always open. (Or it's grounded).

That should only work with the driver door, so that would be where to start. Unfortunately that red/black circuit also goes to the ignition light relay, door lock relay, seat belt relay and light retainer relay. I would start were aftermarket stuff would be hacked in, like alarm at the door lock relay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom