Front Shock Spacer - Increased Suspension Stroke? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Reading a few thread on spacers recently got me thinking... a dangerous thing I know.

Does utilizing the spacer in the front suspension increase maximum suspension stroke?

I believe so! #EDIT Yes! - See Post #20 below

The 200-series platform is generally recognized as having 9" of wheel travel at the front (10" rear). The commonly used OEM wheel spacer (43136-60020) is ~10mm. Back of the napkin says this should roughly increase total suspension stroke by ~.5", or ~9.8" total wheel stroke! This should be true for both the LX and LC.

If I'm not mistaken, droop travel is limited by the overall coilover length. Compression, the bump stop on the lower control arm.

The spacer effectively increases the total extended coilover length, increasing droop travel, and therefore increases total suspension stroke, and wheel travel.

Little known, but @MTKID recently figured out that this same spacer can be used it the LX570 AHC suspension! (LX570 AHC height modifications (lift it!)) As they share suspension components and geometry, it should have the same net effect of increasing stroke. Note that for the LX to actually be lifted, one still has to do the sensor lift. But this will correct the neutral pressures such that the LX still maintains all its great payload capacity when lifted.

Is it as easy as this? Please tell me if I'm completely wrong.

Last edited:
Well, I didn’t figure anything out. I just assumed the top strut support was the same dimension between the LC & LX and the logic of trying to preload it to return the AHC pressures to normal seemed reasonable to me.

If someone was more empirical than me, they would take note of the pressures before the AHC sensor lift, after & then again after installing the spacer. I didn’t do this.

And it isn’t that easy since you have to disconnect the top of the AHC hose from the shock to drop it down. Then the shock is longer with the spacer and it’s a struggle to get the lower mount back in place. Then do a full bleed/flush because there is now air in the system.

I hadn’t even thought of extra droop travel as a benefit, but the slightly concerning topic that was also brought up was if the shock would now bottom out dangerously close to the same time the bump stop engages. I’m not sure. Hopefully not. I may consider trying to install one of Wheeler Offroad’s nice squishy bump stops on the front. I like it on my 100 and I may see if it would fit.

I will let everyone know if this spacer on our LX backfires and causes damage for some reason but I really don’t think it will.

I’d try a few more things but as my signature says, it’s her’s, I’m not allowed to touch it (very much).

P.S. I think I was safe grinding off the spare tire guide brackets from underneath the truck to tuck the larger spare. When is she ever going to see that?

As I understand it, techstream doesn't report out pressures anyways. So I'm not particularly concerned with empirical numbers. On the 100-series, older vehicles tended to need 5-10mm spacers at the rear, and 3 cranks of the torsion at the front to compensate for tired springs. So this should just put thing on the sporty side of good. Or compensate for any sensor lift.

Squishy bump stops would be interesting. Got any links?

I'm not particularly concerned about damaging an AHC shock. $80 bucks a pop for hydraulic struts is what they are.

Still curious about the extended travel!

Last edited:
Did you try the bumps?

No, I haven’t yet. Nothing new on her car except I’ll switch over to summer tires on newly powder coated RW wheels later this month.

Does anyone here on Mud stock/sell the front spring spacers mentioned above? Part: (43136-60020)

I would rather order/support someone on mud than pay a random stealership or online website

Does anyone here on Mud stock/sell the front spring spacers mentioned above? Part: (43136-60020)

I would rather order/support someone on mud than pay a random stealership or online website
The fronts are OEM. I believe Trail Tailor sells the rears on his site.

When installing the front spacers do I need to worry about loosening the KDSS or does that only relate to actual shock work?

When installing the front spacers do I need to worry about loosening the KDSS or does that only relate to actual shock work?

You can't get the spacer in without removing the lower pivot of the strut, meaning the whole thing has to come out anyway. So yeah, you'd need to loosen KDSS valves.

You can't get the spacer in without removing the lower pivot of the strut, meaning the whole thing has to come out anyway. So yeah, you'd need to loosen KDSS valves.

Thanks

Well I now have a 2nd battery and a 12k winch up front. I also have the ahc sensor lift. The front suspension seems to be behaving a little differently in subtle ways. It is adjusting much more often now when I come to a stop when driving around. I'm going to install these spacers to help with the pressure increases caused by the additional weight up front and the sensor lift.

And it isn’t that easy since you have to disconnect the top of the AHC hose from the shock to drop it down.

@MTKID I have some front oem spacers I'm getting ready to install. Quick question: when I disconnect the AHC hose from the shocks, what can I expect? Does fluid shoot out and does the suspension drop like when you bleed one of the globes?

I double checked w/ my mechanic and he said... “Well the whole system is potentially high hydraulic pressure. So treat it accordingly. I didn't do anything special other than bleed pressure off the bleeder ports.”
Hope that helps.

Unfortunately I didn't see @MTKID's post above before installing my spacers. I wasn't smart enough to release the pressure through the bleeder valves like he did so AHC fluid ended up spraying in my face as I disconnected the hydraulic hose from the top of the first shock. :doh: I did lower the suspension first though which reduces the amount of ahc fluid released. So definitely the corrected procedure is to lower the suspension and then bleed the front globes until the suspension drops completely in the front before disconnecting the hoses.

^Doh. Hope you're no worse for wear?

How's the suspension feel after getting her back together?

Is there any difference between the Dobinsons spacers and OEM ones? I am getting new wheels/tires in a couple weeks and would like to do the front spacers as well. Not going to lift it but leveling it to make a bit more clearance for the fronts is my goal.

^Doh. Hope you're no worse for wear?

How's the suspension feel after getting her back together?

Some AHC fluid got in my eyes which really was not fun. I pretty much always wear eye protection but this time I forgot.

It could be my imagination but I think it drives better. It seems like the tires don't "bounce" as much as they did before. It seems like they were more lively before and that the dampening is better now I guess. I'm not sure I have all the air out of the system yet. I used four bottles of AHC fluid bleeding the system and ran out before I think I was completely finished getting all the air out. I have two more bottles on the way and will continue bleeding the air out this weekend.

Unfortunately I didn't see @MTKID's post above before installing my spacers. I wasn't smart enough to release the pressure through the bleeder valves like he did so AHC fluid ended up spraying in my face as I disconnected the hydraulic hose from the top of the first shock. :doh: I did lower the suspension first though which reduces the amount of ahc fluid released. So definitely the corrected procedure is to lower the suspension and then bleed the front globes until the suspension drops completely in the front before disconnecting the hoses.

Sorry for my late reply. I haven’t been spending much time on here recently.

lxlift-jpg.2181836

Installing the spacer on my LX currently. Was able to confirm that the spacers do increase suspension stroke by giving more droop travel. Pretty awesome for such a cheap mod.

Measured 21.125" from top of brake hub to fender stock. 21.875" after.

.75" gained in droop travel! On the more constrained front axle! Now ~10" front and 10" rear travel, up from 9"F/10"R stock. That may not seem like much but it can only help the already astounding RTI of the 200-series platform, in maintaining traction. Enhanced compression travel on whoops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom