Front Catalytic Converter is toast. Replacement cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, my front cat is finally shot at less than 1,000 miles shy of 300k.

Before I go calling around to get estimates today, I'd like to have an idea of the ballpark this will run to get two new cats installed.

Truck is a 97 1FZ.

Thanks!

There are quite a few aftermarket options you can look up through Magnaflow.

Cost will depend on what state you're in and if you want bolt in vs weld in.

Curious how did you find out it is bad?

I'm in SC. Found out it's bad because of the racket it makes at idle and low speeds. A light tap verifies the internals are broken up inside.

Cheapest option would probably be your local mom and pop exhaust shop. Have them weld in a couple universal cats. Maybe $100 labor + the cats?

Magnaflow makes a good replacement for the y-pipe and second cat, but ocassionally they send a Bosal in the box instead of a Magnaflow (the Bosal is crap). The magnaflow is a few hundred dollars but you can do it yourself in the driveway.

Thanks. Yeah, I read the thread about the Bosal woes and I'm not thrilled about going that route. Nothing I'd love more than to do it myself but unfortunately work is crazy and I want this done so I'm going to have to go the universal route and have it done.

Thanks. Yeah, I read the thread about the Bosal woes and I'm not thrilled about going that route. Nothing I'd love more than to do it myself but unfortunately work is crazy and I want this done so I'm going to have to go the universal route and have it done.
So, my Cats are both bad (as per local mechanic after checking codes and doing some digging) The truck is running fine at the moment--but I will want to replace soon. Just curious to know which route you went and how it turned out? Lessons learned appreciated...Thx

You need to figure out what made them go bad. If they are in broken into pieces inside, that's one thing. If they are melted together, or simply throwing a bad cat code, that is another. The root problem is not the cats. It's further up stream and will do the same to the new cats after you install them. For example, if they are melted together, you can have a leaking injector putting too much unburned gas through the exhaust. Or it could just be a slow rear O2 sensor that is telling you a cat is bad.

Just did one in arizona. They replaced the 2 cats (2 way and 1 way) with a 3 way cat (single cat) and looped the exhaust over the frame like the 93-94 models. $300 at local exhaust shop. Done and done. Don’t over think it.

Just did one in arizona. They replaced the 2 cats (2 way and 1 way) with a 3 way cat (single cat) and looped the exhaust over the frame like the 93-94 models. $300 at local exhaust shop. Done and done. Don’t over think it.
Do you mind naming which shop? I need to get some exhaust work done and if you’re satisfied with the work I’d give them some more. Thanks

Mesa muffler, mesa drive and baseline. Got a couple hot dogs at the QT while I waited. They did new exhaust on my FJ40 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom