Front carrier question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up a 91 FJ80 couple weeks back that had to be trailered, but was the sum of a lot of good parts. Slee lift kit (installed incorrectly), well-built sliders. The rest was a gamble as I had no history on this vehicle. Once I got it home, I discovered it had 5.29 gears, and a locker in the rear (good), and another in the front (bad). Once it was together enough to drive the front locker made it sketchy! I decided it was a perfect time to do seals in the front and as they were leaking and got some spider gears to return it to stock. i thought I was going to find a lunchbox, but turned out to be a full Detroit locker, now I can’t put my front and back together until I get an open carrier. Can anyone confirm that the carrier from an 8 inch Toyota rear end will fit?

Thanks

27167951-DC2B-46C4-8155-3E61E021661C.jpeg

So I picked up a 91 FJ80 couple weeks back that had to be trailered, but was the sum of a lot of good parts. Slee lift kit (installed incorrectly), well-built sliders. The rest was a gamble as I had no history on this vehicle. Once I got it home, I discovered it had 5.29 gears, and a locker in the rear (good), and another in the front (bad). Once it was together enough to drive the front locker made it sketchy! I decided it was a perfect time to do seals in the front and as they were leaking and got some spider gears to return it to stock. i thought I was going to find a lunchbox, but turned out to be a full Detroit locker, now I can’t put my front and back together until I get an open carrier. Can anyone confirm that the carrier from an 8 inch Toyota rear end will fit?

Thanks
No because it is a reverse cut high pinion.

There were some generic Aisin’s in the floorboard but the transfer case seems to be full time. At least the front drive driveshaft doesn’t free spin at the moment (in park vehicle off).

No because it is a reverse cut high pinion.
I thought that only effected the ring and pinion. Nitro gear sells an open complete carrier that they list as fitting both trucks and 4runner rears as well as FJ80 fronts (as well as others). Unsure that was accurate though. Thanks for the response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom