Front bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all. I have been lurking here reading alot the past fews days and really enjoy the sight, other than when it locks up (is that just me or are others having probs. with the sight?). I am thinking of buying a 1994 LC. The first thing that will be needed is a new bumper. What are some suggestions. It will be used as a daily driver/hunting wagon. I will not need a winch plate. I live in an area with a large # of deer and I will be replacing the stock just for a little armor protection from possible deer crashes and dings in the woods. Thanks for the help!

ARB. :bow:

For deer protection its the way to go.

Welcome to the forums! :beer:

Can't go wrong with a '94...very good vintage. As far as the bumper...go with the ARB. They do make one without the winch mount if you really don't need it.

Welcome aboard.

If you go ARB get the winch mount, the looks aren't significant, the saving is minimal and it will help if you ever sell it.

The only other front bumper for consideration is the Slee. Not sure if it is as well suited for deer as the ARB, but it has other advantages like a sloping design to improve your angle of approach. Try www.sleeoffroad.com

ARB all the way!!!

This is what could happen if you don't get a bullbar. >$2000 in damages. Hope it helps with your decision.

Thanks for all the replies! About how much does an ARB bumper weigh?

345 -

Another vote for both the Slee bumper, and for ARB.

Christo's (Slee) is likely a better piece of work, but is designed for rock crawling, whereas the ARB more so for expeditioning. The deer are like ants here where I am this year, and we have to literally shoo them from the property before leaving - so I opted for the ARB. I too would recommend getting the winch bar, even if you don't think you will need it.

Although this pic is old news for the regulars around here, you have to consider the fact that some deer will not respect any bumper you might elect to use...

k_deer_2.jpg

Cheers, R -

here is a link to an old post of mine,shows my 96 FZJ80 with an ARB(winch compatable)just installed

see it here: http://www.ih8mud.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=80and100;action=display;num=1049505159;start=0

there are others out there but they are harder to get!!

ECB makes some aluminum bull bars:
http://www.ecb.com.au/80_series.htm

i had NO luck with the guys at ECB,buying/shipping could be a nightmare,but their stuff looks good.......

TJM makes some steel and aluminum bars:
well their site is not showing anything at athe moment(says july 3rd or something to that effect,but you can get some bumpers for the 80/100 series at desertrat.com:
http://www.desertrat.com/tjm/tjm_toyota.htm

after all my searching/handwringing etc,i still went with a tried and true ARB(go figure.if i had bought it 3 months earlier,coulda saved some bucks)

good luck,you wont regret getting a 80 series cruiser.......

doug

Get one that will fit the winch no matter what. One day you will say "Damn, I shoulda got the one for the winch, What the heck was I thinking". If nothing else, stick a tool box there.

:beer:

Trp... I think the ARB weighs about 70 lbs. Anyway I lifted it onto the truck for an easy installation, by myself. So it isn't too heavy, but is made well.
Sean

Will an ARB or Slee front bumper have any affect on the Air Bag system on a '96 80?

Ed

Ed,
There is a long complex answer and there is a short answer. The short answer is "The air bags will deploy when needed."

Don't ask for the long answer as you will get a lot of conjecture and theory. We discussed this a few weeks ago if you want to do a search.
-B-

Thanks, Beo, I'll check it out. Its reassuring to know that I wouldn't have to hit something harder to save my life...

Ed

Hello to all.  I have been lurking here reading alot the past fews days and really enjoy the sight, other than when it locks up (is that just me or are others having probs. with the sight?).

If I am reading a thread the same thing happens to me. If you go back up to the folders on top to back up it will alleviate this problem.

Ed,
Nick is correct about not using the "Back" button on your browser; select the higher level folder on the tree at the top. Sometimes this doesn't work and everything slows to a crawl so you'll have to close the browser session, and start another. Normally, it will recognize that you are still logged in and everything will work fine.
-B-

either slee or arb, seems like the only people not completely happy with arb are the crawlers.
has anyone beefed up an arb so it does better protection? i wont be getting any bumpers for a while, but like the look of the slee better.

I've been looking around for bumpers lately as well (more for shipping costs  :cry: ).  I think I decided on the ARB as well, but I'm curious if anyone either has or has looked at the custom built bumpers from JT Outfitters.  They look nice.....  how bomber is my question?????  I like the custom list to pick from....

http://jtoutfitters.zoovy.com/product/JTOF693TLDC

:givemebeer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom