Front Bumper Replacement & Recommended Audio Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bluearbor.com
I don't like the stock bumper on the 80 I bought, it's got irregular paint and has a few wierd warps in it. I've looked at ARB bumper replacements, but I wasn't really struck with anything.

Has anyone seen/use a good one? I guess I'd go with bumper + grill guard, but I'm not keen on adding a bunch of weight.

Also, I'm about to replace the factory system, I'll likely end up with a Pioneer REV Series system, since a friend has a store. I really like their Multi-channel DVD head unit http://pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4023_1986436,00.html even though the sticker shock is serious.

I spend alot of time driving between Houston and Austin, so car entertainment is about the only way to stay sane.

Has anyone done a nice setup in their 80 series LC? Any pics or good infos? I've never had a SUV, so i'm concerned about speaker choices and accoustics.

Thanks!

80s aren't too bad for acoustics. 6.5"s front doors, rear doors, and amp and subs in the rear, 4" mids in the dash, and tweeters on the mirror mounts.

here's my current bumper. You might check www.sleeoffroad.com

txaggie,
well for the bumper I can say I love my arb. great approach angles and really well built. I dont care for the looks of it particularly but it works well and it came with my first 80 series I bought. The Slee bumper is really well built and Christo and Co. are great to work with. as far as the audio goes I will leave that to someone else.
Dave
Oh and welcome to the group.

Beater with ARB
Lobsterfest_0063.jpg

Beater with Slee

Beater with current bumper

I went with Eclipse radio and cd. Kicker amp and sub. Sounds great. I'm selling the Kicker amp cause I ended up with 2 (long story as usual :flipoff2:). For BF Texas, you may want to get in touch with Hunter or Jason at www.jkcustoms.com and talk to them about sat radio. They are members of LSLC and 2 great guys.

For heaven's sake though, please do not call your 80 an SUV. :shudder: :flipoff2:

thanks phaedrus and ginericfj80 for the info, I'll peruse the Slee site more.

And so Junk doesn't have to start on next week's supply of lithium early... what is the "appropriate" category for the 80? I put it in the "almost eye level with 18-wheelers" category.

thx for that link Junk, I like that grill they've got for the 80. I kinda wish i could put a 100series grill guard on the 80, i like their look.

Here is a one-off by Stout Equipment

I lovingly refer to mine as
" The Pig"
it does nicely
Dave

[quote author=TxAggie link=board=2;threadid=4521;start=msg33924#msg33924 date=1061522338]
And so Junk doesn't have to start on next week's supply of lithium early... what is the "appropriate" category for the 80? [/quote]
Every 80 was built with one thing in mind. To eventually make it a beater. :D :flipoff2: :D

Everyone has opinions about bumpers and audio but the nicest audio i've found is made by Rosen Electronics or http://www.rosenentertainment.com They make a double din dvd/cd/mp3/navigation/tv that looks as if it will fit directly in the double din opening in 80s. I have no experience with this company and have no idea of the quality. They are pricey but competitive with other high end audio systems. Have a look and if anyone actually has money to do this (after all other mods are done) send some my way! :D

[quote author=TxAggie link=board=2;threadid=4521;start=msg33913#msg33913 date=1061520864]
I don't like the stock bumper on the 80 I bought, it's got irregular paint and has a few wierd warps in it. I've looked at ARB bumper replacements, but I wasn't really struck with anything.

Has anyone seen/use a good one? I guess I'd go with bumper + grill guard, but I'm not keen on adding a bunch of weight.

[/quote]

Cheapest, lightest replacement bumper is the T17 from TJM
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/tjm_t17_front.htm

Grill guards are no good due to mounting. Small accidents push the top back and into the truck causing more damage.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=4521;start=msg34017#msg34017 date=1061563073]
Cheapest, lightest replacement bumper is the T17 from TJM
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/tjm_t17_front.htm

Grill guards are no good due to mounting. Small accidents push the top back and into the truck causing more damage.

[/quote]

Hey, y'all got a skid plate fabbed up for the a/c dryer like that tjm? I've got an ARB, and get nervous with the dryer hanging out there unprotected.

Thanks for the link Cristo, you guys have some really nice gear. That bumper is what i'm leaning toward right now, it looks pretty damn good.

Those Rosen doublebin units look awsome, it's a shame they arn't mutlichannel out or dolby digita. Really nice unit, i bet they'd look good in the 80 series dash. I might check around about their rep and put it as an alternative.

Thanks for the help!

Go with the ARB or Slee bumper. You can't go wrong with either. As far as the stereo, go with a sat setup. I too do alot of driving between Las Vegas and Phoenix and my CD colloection is wearing thin. A sat stereo is my next purchase. The opening in the dash is a double DIN. Install a single DIN stereo and put your CB below. 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" in all four doors. Forget about the 4" openings under the dash. Use the left one to install the speaker for your CB. You can mount amps where the factory subwoofer is installed. Just use the factory bracket. I have two amp's mounted behind the panel. As far as sub's go, it's your preference. I am running two Boston Accoustic Pro 10's in a box I can pull out if I need the space. Good luck, welcome and remember...Mess with Texas. :D

Wob,
Here is a pic of the AC dryer plate I started. About 50 percent done. You kinda got to twist your head around to understand it as I shot it from underneath. Hope it gives you some ideas. Not much time when you have a farm with this weather we've been having.
Bill

This is a picture of the center plate a little farther along. I made it so it would work for the bottom mount for the methanol/water injection tank that I welded up.
Bill

Skid plate with tank.

-H-

Stick to repelling to save folks. That is much more benefical in the long run. That is unless you are getting in the way of Darwin ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom