Front bumper removal bolt help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!
I finally got my hands on an ARB front bar for my 1989 FJ62. During the process of trying to remove the OEM bumper, I stumbled across these bolts and no way to remove them. One side is your standard set of bolts but the other is this black non patterned hard material. What gives? Anyone have experience with these or know how to remove them?

Posted sitting outside sweating.
Thanks!

20200902_112118.jpg

20200902_112108.jpg

20200902_112104.jpg

Those are the standard rivets that most of the frame is constructed with. You will need to Cut/Drill them out. There are quite a few threads on how to do it, but it is a PITA and takes a while, even with the correct tools.

They are hot rivets. You need to grind the heads off and torch or punch out the body of the rivet. You'll be sweating more by the time you're done. They can be very difficult to remove.

I'm not really familiar with the procedure for installation the ARB, but if you just want to remove your front bumper (the part that is chrome steel, you don't need to remove any rivets. The bumper mounts on pieces of the frame called "bumper stays" using bolts through the top and bottom of the bumper and through the stays.

You may very well need to remove the bumper stays from the frame to mount the ARB and this will require removal of those rivets. Keep in mind that the ARB may use the rivet holes for mounting the new bumper so you don't want to bugger them up too much. When I removed the bumper stays for my homemade front bumper I think I went to a muffler shop and had someone with an acetylene torch burn them out.

If I’m seeing what I believe I am, and I may not...but you do not need to remove the rivets to remove the OEM bumper...nor to mount the ARB.

Not sure if year of bumper matters, for newer model ARB on FJ62 I did have to remove 2 bolts (1 lower and 1 upper) from the OEM bumper mounts to make room for the upper/lower ARB bolts. Mine (both sides) were both bolts, not rivets.

20200902_153129.jpg

20200902_153146.jpg

Not sure if year of bumper matters, for newer model ARB on FJ62 I did have to remove 2 bolts (1 lower and 1 upper) from the OEM bumper mounts to make room for the upper/lower ARB bolts. Mine (both sides) were both bolts, not rivets.

View attachment 2424352

View attachment 2424353

Someone prior to you removed the rivets for the bumper brackets and replaced with bolts hence the reason to remove bolts.

Thank you all for the input! I contacted my usual exhaust/muffler guy and he was happy to slice it off with an air chisel in exchange for some pizza :D
Still ended up with little success because the winch proved to be a PITA so I'll be trying and troubleshooting next week if I can't find any info on it by then...

^^^
I was thinking the same thing...maybe they changed??

Sorry, I can see where my first picture is misleading on which rivets I was indicating. The 2nd Gen ARB bumper requires the removal of the stand seen in my second picture in order to slide in the new brackets like so. The holes are of course still intact, the rivets themselves are gone.

Screenshot_20200902-200444_Gallery.jpg

How embarrassing. Looking at the pictures now, I do see they can be left on. I suppose this means I have some backtracking to do next week.

How embarrassing. Looking at the pictures now, I do see they can be left on. I suppose this means I have some backtracking to do next week.
I left mine on, but cut the bottom part off as it was extra and pointless.

I connected the amber lights to the running lights but on the 60, the turn signals are visible. If I remember right, on a 62 you want to connect them to the turn indicators.

One of the perks of that bumper, it makes a great shelf for tools and a cold one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom