Front Bumper Question Re: Rounded Out Carriage Bolt Holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a pretty decent front bumper from a helpful Mud member to replace my bent one. Well the carriage bolt holes are slightly rounded and will not hold the carriage bolts. I would still like to install it since it looks way better than what is on the truck now and I would prefer to not buy a new one at $500. Any suggestions on how to make it work and still use the stock carriage bolts? I am thinking not, but figured I would ask here. Thanks.

I think you would have to either drill the holes bigger and then weld in an insert from the backside. Or maybe weld some sort of washer that captures the flats on the carriage bolt.

I got a pretty decent front bumper from a helpful Mud member to replace my bent one. Well the carriage bolt holes are slightly rounded and will not hold the carriage bolts. I would still like to install it since it looks way better than what is on the truck now and I would prefer to not buy a new one at $500. Any suggestions on how to make it work and still use the stock carriage bolts? I am thinking not, but figured I would ask here. Thanks.
Are you using new bolts or old bolts?

I am trying to reuse the existing bolts. They are in really good condition and not rounded. I may have to do what Seth suggested and weld up those corners a bit.

I am trying to reuse the existing bolts. They are in really good condition and not rounded. I may have to do what Seth suggested and weld up those corners a bit.
Do the nuts spin right on. I have installed a used bumper on a 60 that was obviously rounded out but i used new bolts went right on with just a little spinning. Be careful welding to the bumper you may cause more damage.

Use a large C-clamp to hold down the bolt heads while you get the nuts started. Use anti-seize on all threads. (This c-clamp method is also how you remove old carriage bolts without egging out the holes. Without the clamp, the moment the nut backs off an amount equal to the thickness of the bumper, it wants to cam out and spin and destroy the bumper.)

Thanks @SteveH. That is a great trick! I installed the new/used bumper last night and surprisingly, the bolts held just fine. Nice to have a better bumper on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom