Front bumper ideas/ lift ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The plot thickens
I have been going back and forth with different projects on the 40. Yesterday I spent some time trying to align the power steering pump. When I unbolded the cobbled together mount it fell apart in my hand. It looked like it had been broken for some time becuase the crack surface had a coating of rust and grease, the belt tension probably helped keep it together. I want to get a dorry style mount from Georg and be done with it. While I am in there I also want to do ford shock towers because the driver side is already hacked and welded together with sqaure tube.

Main question is if the box is mounted 'correctly'? All of the picture I have seen of frame plates and sleeves for a saginaw box show a different box mounted on the inside of the frame as opposed to the outside. I want to make sure im going down the right path before I weld a bunch of stuff onto my frame and then need to cut it off.

IMG_20200512_173610.jpg
IMG_20200512_175552.jpg
IMG_20200512_175604.jpg

Nice, that looks really clean. If I weld plating onto the outside of the frame I will for sure redo the shock mount when that happens. how are you mounting fender supports after the plating covers up the holes? I want to go tubular anyways so it may not even matter?

If you use the search function and look in FAQ's, and tech links, you'll find a bunch of info on fj60/80 and scout steering projects. A lot of folks scab the outside of the frame to move the box to the driver side to clear the rad support. Not all the installation are identical. On my 75 40 the po installed the sbc/nv4500 more centered in the frame and moved the rad support to the pass side, so I did not plate the outside of the frame. I think most plate the inside and sleeve. I notched and moved the stk shock tower back some for clearance of the steering shaft and box, as I posted in a previous pic. . I also did some strategic cutting and body work on my inner fender well, so I didn't have to cut any material out of my new stk fender to clear the box. On my 1st scout box that I put on my trail rig, I plated both and used the Ford shock tower. It works fine but don't really care for it.

20180317_204418_resized.jpg
20180307_213205_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom