Front bumper ideas/ lift ID (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As part of going through my new to me 40 I am looking into redoing the suspension/steering.
Can any of you figure out what the PO had installed based on the pictures? I know its in rough shape but any guidance on even the amount of lift would be great. Are these shackles custom? or are they part of a kit?
IMG_20200330_173832.jpg
IMG_20200330_173817.jpg
IMG_20200330_173810.jpg

The second issue is that the front bumper is pretty mangled around the spring hangers and looks like it took a decent hit. What options are there for straightening out the front end. nothing is out of the question in terms of cutting/fabbing. primary use will be a trail rig so something I can retain the winch mount on front would be ideal.

IMG_20200330_173845.jpg
IMG_20200330_173922.jpg

I have the same but no idea where they came from. Scary part is that steering rod with rusted out holes.😬

Shackles and tie rod look homemade. A new tie rod isn't that expensive, I'd ditch that scary thing and replace it. Hard to tell in your pictures, do you have 60 series power steering?

Not sure if its 40 series 60 series or mini truck
being that its a 1979 would it have had PS from the factory?

what is welded to the tierod?
tierod looks cut in the middle and put back together
rod going to the PS box looks like the end has been cutoff and a US thread end is welded on so it uses an end to go to the pitman arm.
looking at all of the above, I would double check the mounting of the box, is the frame sleeved?
hope the steering shaft looks better than the rods on the axle.

Yeah the front end has certainly been butchered. I'm just trying to figure out whats there for reference going forward, everying steering related is going to be checked/replaced when I do a front disc swap.
I think whats welded to the tie rod is a steel fence post...
I will check the box mounting as well. Is there a bolt pattern to reference to help ID the box?

That’s a Scout II Saginaw steering box and a pretty impressively redneck fabbed tie rod! Once you pull it for replacement you should stick it into the ground and hang/mount something from it like fence or a yard decoration . It looks like some sort of fence post.

As long as the PS box is fine I’d leave it (as long as it’s sleeved) since it gives better steering geometry and input shaft routing than the typical Saginaw box location. Less frame butchering too.

sound good, seems like the scout II box is the only thing worth keeping on the front end. Pretty sure its not sleeved, didnt see anthing running through the frame and the bols just go through one wall so I will need to reinforce that.

Look like 2.5" skyjacker springs. , shackles are junk make or buy good one with no crossbar, probably need caster shims according to the length of the shackle

just cruious why the crossbar on the shackles not good to have?

It's a Scout 2 box

20180318_233200_resized.jpg

Cool, thanks for the ideas. Im going to start working on some form of fame stiffening either plating or sleeves or some combination. I will likely stay with the leaf springs up front jusy clean everything up and make sure its safe/reliable. Eventually I want to link the front while keeping the 40 axle. From what I have read linking the front can get pretty tight trying to package everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom