Front bumper extension winch mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.olympiafj60.net
Just finished up a little project I have been thinking about/working on for a little while. I had tried to install a factory PTO winch a while ago but decided not to when the drive shaft would no clear my MAF headers. I liked the look of the factory PTO winch bumper (but a little smaller). I decided I would try and fit the 8000# winch I had sitting around and didn't want to spend the money on an ARB or the like. I ended up having some channel bent form 1/4 plate to fit inside the frame rails (bumper brackets where already removed due to the PTO bumper). I also had a front cross piece bent to fit over the extended rails. My winch was is already on a mounting plate and I didn't think that part through. I had to add some 1/4 plate to the channels for mounting tabs. If I did it again, I would have them bend the channel with 4-5" on top and 2" on bottom. Is till turned out pretty good.
DSCN1183.JPG
DSCN1186.JPG
DSCN1176.JPG

Looks great! if you contact GandS cruiser parts they may have the fill in blanks for the sides.

Very HJ61 looking!

yah that would be good too. Nice place for the tree saver etc.....

Oh and now you need one of those OEM silver winch covers......real sweet!

Bumper Extention

Looks nice Brandon! Looks better than the other one you bought in Canada. Just be careful not to hit anything with the corners so the bumper doesnt get taco'ed in.

yes there were "stock" bumper extenders.

cbmontgo said:
That is AWESOME! Was there a similar "extension" with the factory PTO setup?
Yes, the PTO winch uses a similar extension, that is whee I got the idea for the one I built. Had the cross support in the front too. It just sticks out too far in my opinion with the PTO setup.

It was a good little project and easy too.

beaufort-fj60 said:
i like this idea of boxes.

nice but what about your approach angle .. ? and you front weight !

I thought I would post here again so your thread would go back to the top of the list. Anyways, you dont have to worry about your aproach angles since your forbidden to take the 60 out anymore. But thats why you have your 40 for. Your paint is holding up nicely. I check it out everyday I walk past it to the shop.
The Yellow truck looks better in your shop than your cruiser does in the pics... Sorry, Pam wanted me to through that in there.
See you tomorrow.

Those front bumpers bend real easy way out there in front:eek: I cut about 10" off the ends on mine and re-mounted the plastic ends, looks great and is a whole lot harder to bend:cheers:

OEM was what I was going for, and cheap. I love the ARB bumper but don't have that kind of money right now. This is actualy very sutble. Since it won't be a trail rig but more of an expidition/backroad rig (and DD). Besides, if it bends, I can just hook a chain to the tree that bent it and back up right :).

Either way, it was fun trying to figure it all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom