front bumper bracket rivets FJ-62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I grinded down the rivet heads on the bracket side and knocked the bracket off. I was hoping to pound out the rivets, but they won't budge. Why not?

My first guess is they're just seized in place by corrosion. Heat em up and pound away with a punch and a 2.5lb hammer.

My guess is it’s because they’re big ass rivets riveted with a big ass machine that puts so much stress on the rivet that it’s shank expands outwards too, jamming it in the hole.

My guess is it’s because they’re big ass rivets riveted with a big ass machine that puts so much stress on the rivet that it’s shank expands outwards too, jamming it in the hole.
^^^ Also this

I had to drill out my FJ40 steering box rivets (after knocking the heads off). Hot rivets are like that - very, very difficult to remove.

LOL

The purpose of using rivets instead of bolts is to completely fill the holes (even if they aren't all the same diameter or shape) of all the attached parts with similar hardness of material. No gaps and similar material allow stress forces to pass through both the parts and rivet without any stress risers; i.e. gaps, sharp edges, dissimilar material hardness.

Replacing rivets with Grade 8 bolts will cause stress risers at each bolt.

Try harder

drill through the rivet completely with a small bit (to get it centered), then upsize with a bit slightly smaller than the rivet shank diameter. Take the strength out of it. Should pound out much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom