front breaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its come time to get the front brakes done on my 84. they dont pull or squeech or anything, but i can definatly feel the pulsing as i break.
I have a guy who i trust to do the job, with the trade off being me doing some light carpentry work around is houe, the same day he has the truck.
my question is: what do i need to get for this job? i'll get all the parts. i need to get new,even if we can get the rotors turned, because i have ONE day to get this done. are there anything little things i need, springs, whatever? i've never done a brake job, so ium asking you all.

hammer

Hard to say. I ended up needing rotors (cant turn them, too far gone) and calipers. Your rotors may be ok to turn, so the least you might have to get is pads.... You may get in there and fine you need seals and bearings :(

Jason

You might be able to check your rotors while on the truck - check the condition and see if they really need turning. If not, then just replace the pads and be done with it. (Also, there are these odd little springs that go around the brake pads - #5 and #7, IIRC, in the diagram below - mine were shot on one side.)

You might also consider replacing the brake lines. Last time I looked at mine, they were looking pretty bad and are on the list of things to replace preventativly. If you don't have to pull the rotors for turning, have your friend replace these lines, otherwise he'll have a 45 minute job, and you'll be fixing stuff around his house the rest of the day. :D

084A.gif

dumb question.
can i really tell if the rotors need replacing, other than if the are visually f***ed up?
hammer

GOOD advice on the brake lines/hoses. I am rebuilding my axles and am replacing the hoses on the front as they were all dried and cracked.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom