Front brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sogncab

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a caliper in the front that is hanging up a little. I figured I'd replace both calipers, rotors and pads.

I'm assuming I'll need seals as well?

I have no affiliation with Cruiser Outfitter, but they have all the parts and part numbers and images for convenience sake.

1651846832234.png

1651846982561.png

1651847119591.png

1651847310841.png

Depending on the condition of the rotors and how long it's been since the last front axle service I'd personally try to either hold off on replacing the rotors until the next axle rebuild or go ahead and do the front axle service/rebuild now.

Depending on the condition of the rotors and how long it's been since the last front axle service I'd personally try to either hold off on replacing the rotors until the next axle rebuild or go ahead and do the front axle service/rebuild now.
I hear you. This Landcruiser has 170k miles on it, but the body is roached. I'm not sure it's worth the effort unless something starts getting growly. I'm hoping to get it to 270k, but I think that might be optimistic as everything else will fail around the drive line.

I ordered up a bunch of stuff from Cruiser Outfitters. I just ordered lockers and a compressor from them yesterday.

Thanks for the help. This place is a wonderful resource

To replace just rotors/calipers/pads you don't need to replace any seals etc. The hub+rotor can be removed without damaging the grease seal on the knuckle side of the hub. Recycle the lock washer etc - it has 5 'tabs', just use the tabs that haven't been used before. Even reusing the bent tabs is ok if it's the 1st time - they don't break off that easy...

I just did both rotors this past w/end and I did replace the grease seal since I figured it would be smart to clean and repack the wheel bearings, but that's just ih8mud ocd at work. I was at about 180k with original rotors and probably 100k on the last wheel bearing repack. I am in the CA bay area so not dealing with awful winters/salt/etc.

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom