Front brake working too hard? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been thinking that given the amount of brake pad dust on my front rims and there's none on the rear AND how fast the front brakes wear on the 80, perhaps the front brakes do too much of the work.

This question was raised on the "part time thread" but I thought I'd start another thread (after searching on the topic mind you).

Anyway - should a guy consider adjust the proportioning system to get the rear brakes doing a little more of the work? The stock adjustment sure does seem to favor the fronts way too much.

I can see that you want the front brakes handling a lot of the load (to control lockup on the rear) but it just seems that the stock setting is too much.

I'd be interested in what the issues are. ???

R

The fronts in any typical vehicle do the vast majority of braking - something on the order of 75%. That's why the front discs are larger and ventilated (funny, I can't actually recall the 80s are ventilated?). Personally, I feel the 80 system is a bit too much biased to the fronts, but I do not recommend anyone take this as a blanket license to adjust their proportioning valve. I have a background in vehicle development and feel confident I have the expertise to play with this variable.

In your case, you should wait until those OME springs are installed and make an adjustment based on some recommendations posted on either Slee or the 80s Cool tech site.

Doug

I'm done with my lift and ready for this procedure. What l did was loosen up the nuts (counterclockwise) two full turns on the threaded rod at the rear axle. However, I'm hearing that it's better to adjust the prop valve itself by sliding it along the slotted holes. Anyone has some info on this procedure? I'll look into my FSM too.

Thanks.

As Doug says, the fronts do almost all of the work because of weight transfer during braking. They wear faster on all cars. Back in the days when every car had self adjusting rear drum brakes, I'd say 75% of the cars I worked on the rears were so far out of adjustment they barely worked anyways.

Thread Hijack warning

Speaking of brakes a buddy just got hosed on a bunch of unnessessary work at a dealer. When he got his Expidition back, the pedal sinks to the floor. 4-wheel brake job was performed with no new calipers. Now I know that it's easy to kill a master by not replacing the pads properly, but the dealer said all the Expiditions do that,( after they told him it would be mushy for the next 500 miles or so until the pads break in. ::))
He went and checked his neighbors Expidition, and sure enough, the pedal sinks to the floor, just like a bad master. A couple of pumps brings it up, and then it sinks back down under steady pressure.
Anybody out there that can confirm or deny the claim that this is a common thing with Expiditions?

After $1000 of unnessesary work, they not only didn't wash his vehicle, they didn't even bother to wipe the brake dust off the rims. There's even hand marks in the dust where the "tech" handled the tire.

I now longer have the tendancy to wince when I read or hear about this stuff. Guess that's how some dealerships stay in business, and how many qualified mechanics make money to live, make their mortgage and generally get to enjoy life like the rest of us. I've become "comfortably numb" on it. Just yesterday a few friends were over and one of them asked me if it was normal for a transmission to make a slipping/revving behavior for a few days after a flush (that's what the mechanic told him after he called to complain). What do you say, ya know? Some people play the lotto with their retirement money, and some people think it's OK to have an $1800 service bill on a 2 year old vehicle simply in for maintenance. What can you do?

Doug

I had a friend call with a Honda Civic with 120K on it that has never done any sort of maintenance beyond oil and air filters.

He doesn't even rotate tires, just replaces the front when the outside edge hits radial...uugh.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=7177;start=msg61071#msg61071 date=1068437218]
I now longer have the tendancy to wince when I read or hear about this stuff. Guess that's how some dealerships stay in business, and how many qualified mechanics make money to live, make their mortgage and generally get to enjoy life like the rest of us. I've become "comfortably numb" on it. Just yesterday a few friends were over and one of them asked me if it was normal for a transmission to make a slipping/revving behavior for a few days after a flush (that's what the mechanic told him after he called to complain). What do you say, ya know? Some people play the lotto with their retirement money, and some people think it's OK to have an $1800 service bill on a 2 year old vehicle simply in for maintenance. What can you do?

Doug
[/quote]

I know a few, too few, qualified mechanics who are honest and care about their customers. They turn away work. A couple I know only take referrals, they don't do walk in work. Too busy. Unfortunately, dealers make their money from the shops, but are owned by non-mechanics.

A guy came in yesterday with warped rotors. I asked him how he drives the car. He said lots of highway, so lots of hard stops (only in Chicago :D) We looked at it. I told him he needed rotors and could go pick some up at the local NAPA. His pads were fine. he came back with pads and rotors. The parts guy told him he probably needed pads if his rotors were warped. Apparently some people feel like they're getting a better job if they spend more money. Don't come in my shop and ask me for advice and then go take some parts goobers council over mine. :mad: (no offense, Dan. You are a rarity)

I can't understand the mentality that thinks it's OK to need thousands of dollars of work in the first 50,000 miles. Of course, I don't understand why anyone would buy an American made car twice. Some peoples' level of tolerance is higher and their expectations lower.

My GMC calls for a great deal of "dealer checkups" in the first 100K.

Luckily they are checkups...not service...and the coincide with oil changes and tire rotation and balancing.

I can handle that stuff...but when they start mentioning ANYTHING about replacement they will get a surprise...I want to see the issue myself...take me in back or I am rolling.

"parts goobers"

Lots better than a "parts booger" :D

>> parts goobers <<

Hey Woody... We're tiring of the Hall Monitor moniker. I believe we've got a possibiliyt here. :D

-B-

:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom