Front brake rotor replacement - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Disclaimer - I did search, I promise….

So my new to me 2005 100 series VX Amazon 1HD-FTE has been pinged for bad brakes, so I’ve been buying bits to replace all 4 rotors and have the calipers remanufactured. So far, so good, I’ve replaced the rears without too much of a fight, including new handbrake (parking / emergency brake) pads and fitting hardware.

Now for the fronts - just pulled the front left dust cap, circlip, flange (no gasket present grrr), locking nut (which was only finger tight…), tab washer and adjuster nut (also finger tight) so as you can imagine it’s all pretty mucky in there and over-due a proper sorting…

When pulling the hub / rotor assembly off, the large O ring (for want of a better description) has detached from the backing plate. Does anyone known that part number please as I can’t seem to find the right thing…. See pic.

I think I need to replace the backing plates while I’m here. What a cruddy, messy job 😯😂

F3C56BA5-3A9B-4DA4-B025-E9C532A4A566.png

VX, Amazon, so I assume UK and RHD?
I use epc-data for the parts diagram. It has a convenient link to amayama to check prices.
The front wheel bits are spread between hub, axle arm & steering knuckle and front caliper for the backing plate

Considering the state of the seal and the grease, I would replace all seals and gasket in the hubs. They are not that expensive. Also check the needle bearing that is on the rear side of the hub.

That seal is apart of the dust shield. Also be the gasket for it.About $50-60USD US Toyota Dealership price +$6USD.
I have a '06 US land cruiser. My part # might not match yours but here is a pic some of mine/ also as above. You are going axle deep; based on how hideous your knuckle looks; the brass bearing/oil seal at minimum need to be replaced. And the bearing.. And make or invest in the axle puller if your 100series is like mine.

Screenshot_20220722-165555.png

Many thanks guys, will update on progress

So I’ve spent ALL my pocket money for this year and next now….

New everything from spindle dust-cap back to knuckle, only part being reused are the lock nuts as they are fine. So much wrong in there it was scary.

Now just tying to source the inner bearings at a reasonable cost, and awaiting parts delivery and I’ll be ready to reassemble.

The remanufactured calipers have really sorted those issues so hopefully once I get this all put back together I’ll get rid of the pulsing, pulling, clunks, retarded acceleration, etc. that’s been hassling me. Loads of cleanup to be getting on with, plus new drop-link bushes for the front.

Rears all done and buttoned up, new rotors, pads, calipers rebuilt, new handbrake shoes and hardware…..

All 5 rims stripped and refurbished too, back to good as new pretty much, corrosion gone, no bubbles and properly powder coated and sealed.

Another week or so and we’ll be mobile again, I hope…

2EC06803-4275-494C-8667-A02D01A0E86B.jpeg

AFAADC09-457E-4C54-9B60-8E93E7D27207.jpeg

DDE846F9-0818-4036-A76A-558530EA38BF.jpeg

B104B5DA-887E-4F86-925B-EF6F0339DEF9.jpeg

05C83EFC-8E49-4B46-9AF3-1620545AC6C5.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom