Front brake lines....question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My front flexible brake lines are starting to crack a bit. Is this something I should worry about? Or am I safe to not replace them until my next 60k service.?
What is the breakdown of the brake lines....? The outermost layer is rubber, then I'm not sure what's under all that stuff.
This the one that attaches to the calipers.

I can take pics if needed. But I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Thanks.

You might benefit from some new soft lines, might firm up the pedal feel. I've never heard of one blowing, but I'm sure it's happened- and probably right when you need them most, slamming on the brakes to avoid a bad situation.

I wrote about it in a thread I can't find but I could tell when someone else was pumping the brakes and I could actually see the bubble in the brake line bulge out. I replaced all at the same time.

replace the rubber hoses. i replaced the fronts because they started to crack where it bends...near the rubber hose crimp fittings.one hose blew and leaked fluid. brake light indicator came on and i had to drive home pressing the pedal as sparingly as i could just so it wont run empty on fluid. no fluid, no brakes. better safe than sorry;)

i just blew out one of my flexible line the other day when i was doing a little off roading. now i'm having a very bad time putting new ones on. could be the new part but not sure. i wanted to be driving as soon as possible so i got new lines from O'irish auto parts and now i can't get the solid line to thread into the flexible line, it just won't start threading. so i tried it back into the old busted line and it threaded right in.

safe to assume the cheap chinese made line just isn't right somehow? the threads seem ever so slightly buggered on the new fitting but not enough to make a difference but try as i might, i simply can't get it to thread in.

any suggestions?

i just blew out one of my flexible line the other day when i was doing a little off roading. now i'm having a very bad time putting new ones on. could be the new part but not sure. i wanted to be driving as soon as possible so i got new lines from O'irish auto parts and now i can't get the solid line to thread into the flexible line, it just won't start threading. so i tried it back into the old busted line and it threaded right in.

safe to assume the cheap chinese made line just isn't right somehow? the threads seem ever so slightly buggered on the new fitting but not enough to make a difference but try as i might, i simply can't get it to thread in.

any suggestions?

The hard lines flare out so slightly after tightening up. File down the OD of the hard line end just a small bit and it will fit. @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr did this a couple days ago after blowing out a line before a big trip.

Yeah I had noticed the sides of the flare nut itself had well...flared out a bit so I used my Dremel and took off a bit of metal but I really think the threads just weren't quite right this time. Because it threaded right back into the old broken line just fine after I filed the edge down. I already returned the new lines.

I pm'ed Cdan to see if he can secure an OEM hose for me

Last edited:
The lines are braided under the outer rubber sheath. At 20 plus years old, just replace them. If you are going to lift, get longer lines. Only use a quality product. I ordered my extended brake lines from one of the local Toyota dealers (thanks Murf!) Used this thread as a guide; OEM Extended Brake Lines w/ part numbers

I don't think you can go wrong with Slee's products either, I just wanted OEM for ease of installation.

Thanks y'all for all the replies. I should've stayed away from the box store and just gone straight with a OEM dealer or the Slee product. I'll be ordering some tonight hopefully

You can always go to NAPA or a hose shop and have them built. Just take one and have them built the same but extend for future lift if needed. Front two extended lines made within an hour at Napa cost 70.00. Not bad for an emergency situation.

d
You can always go to NAPA or a hose shop and have them built. Just take one and have them built the same but extend for future lift if needed. Front two extended lines made within an hour at Napa cost 70.00. Not bad for an emergency situation.

do they just reuse the old metal fittings and refit a new hose to them or do they build completely new pieces based on the old ones?

d

do they just reuse the old metal fittings and refit a new hose to them or do they build completely new pieces based on the old ones?

All brand new. We had a steel braided line blow right where it was crimped. The NAPA guy recommended a bigger black hose than the steel braided ones.

All brand new. We had a steel braided line blow right where it was crimped. The NAPA guy recommended a bigger black hose than the steel braided ones.

was that $70 for one line or for both of the front flexible axle to caliper hoses?

IMG_4887.JPG
was that $70 for one line or for both of the front flexible axle to caliper hoses?
Both front. Here's a pic of the new trying to mate up with the hard line.

okay all here's the latest. I've gotta give a great big shout out to a local company. they're called Hundley Hydraulic. Great Service, awesome bunch of guys. As soon as I took my busted brake line out of the shop towel it was in, the guy behind the counter said, "oh a brake line, we do those all the time" a couple of hours later and 18 bucks, i have a made in the USA high quality brake line that fit like a glove, just as well as the OEM one that broke. those guys said they can build any kind of line my truck has, from steel brake line to braided steel flex lines to AC lines, and i'm pretty sure he wasn't joking...no seriously I'm sure they could build any line and do it just as good as an OEM part.

anyway they got me back on the road in a hurry and for that I was exceptionally grateful!

cheers ya'll

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom