Front Brake Job Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched all over the site for a moderately detailed description of how to change the front rotors. I know the hub has to come off, but do you have to change the bearings, or can I just re-pack them? I'm selling this Cruiser soon, so I don't want to put a bunch of money in it. Is there a how-to out there I just can't find?

This link might help you. Shows the start of a axle rebuild.
Stop at step 15

Todd,

I did this job on my '76 FJ40 and don't recall all the details but I just followed the Toy Factory chassis manual. You don't need to replace the wheel bearings if they are OK, just repack and set the right preload when you put it back together. You should replace the grease seals (cheap). You'll need a hub socket (see recent thread on this). The hardest thing I remember doing was getting the C-clips back on the ends of the axles.

Pete

Todd,

I did this job on my '76 FJ40 and don't recall all the details but I just followed the Toy Factory chassis manual. You don't need to replace the wheel bearings if they are OK, just repack and set the right preload when you put it back together. You should replace the grease seals (cheap). You'll need a hub socket (see recent thread on this). The hardest thing I remember doing was getting the C-clips back on the ends of the axles.

Pete

The bearings are located in the hub, and you don't even have to repack them if they are OK.

Where can I get a hub socket? For some reason this job is making me a little nervous, but I hate to pay a shop to do it.

I got mine from my friendly neighborhood Snap On dealer. Get the BluePoint version. That or order one through Man-a-fre or Slee or ....

NAPA carries the OTC version, which is heavy duty. You can also get the anglicized version at Sears (2 1/8").

The job is a piece of cake. Nothing to worry about. Just follow the manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom