1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Brake Job Help

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by TB Cruzer, Aug 15, 2006.

1. TB Cruzer

TB Cruzer

I've searched all over the site for a moderately detailed description of how to change the front rotors. I know the hub has to come off, but do you have to change the bearings, or can I just re-pack them? I'm selling this Cruiser soon, so I don't want to put a bunch of money in it. Is there a how-to out there I just can't find?

2. FrankTorres

FrankTorres

Media:
    Albums:
    This link might help you. Shows the start of a axle rebuild.
    Stop at step 15

3. Pete

Pete

Todd,

I did this job on my '76 FJ40 and don't recall all the details but I just followed the Toy Factory chassis manual. You don't need to replace the wheel bearings if they are OK, just repack and set the right preload when you put it back together. You should replace the grease seals (cheap). You'll need a hub socket (see recent thread on this). The hardest thing I remember doing was getting the C-clips back on the ends of the axles.

Pete

4. Pete

Pete

Todd,

I did this job on my '76 FJ40 and don't recall all the details but I just followed the Toy Factory chassis manual. You don't need to replace the wheel bearings if they are OK, just repack and set the right preload when you put it back together. You should replace the grease seals (cheap). You'll need a hub socket (see recent thread on this). The hardest thing I remember doing was getting the C-clips back on the ends of the axles.

Pete

5. cruiserman

cruiserman

The bearings are located in the hub, and you don't even have to repack them if they are OK.

6. TB Cruzer

TB Cruzer

Where can I get a hub socket? For some reason this job is making me a little nervous, but I hate to pay a shop to do it.

7. Grench

Grench SILVER Star

I got mine from my friendly neighborhood Snap On dealer. Get the BluePoint version. That or order one through Man-a-fre or Slee or ....

8. cruiserman

cruiserman

NAPA carries the OTC version, which is heavy duty. You can also get the anglicized version at Sears (2 1/8").

The job is a piece of cake. Nothing to worry about. Just follow the manual.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">