Front bashplates for 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What front bashplates do you use under your 80? Specifically to protect the front of the motor where the radiator, alternator, etc. are? I have one (Aussie made from steel) but it traps lots of water and is rusting badly. Investigating a possible replacement.

There are a few commercially-made ones here, so curious what's in the north american market for 80's? I have a Superior Engineering transfer case protector (much beefier than Toyota's factory plate), and the original fibreglass 'undercover no. 1' went away some years ago.

The current one I have is this:

And it's really tough but also a pita to fit with aftermarket recovery point and as the pics show the steel tube that is at the back forms a big water trap when the item is mounted.

There is one Ebay seller I found that lists basically the same product but commercially made. Mine was a custom made small-run product though mounting and design is otherwise the same as this:

Last edited:
Been checking out a few more now I finally was able to get money together for the repair to the cracked (again after 10 yrs) chassis at the steering box and front panhard mount... That was a $1400 repair but this time has been fully plated and gusseted.

Now onto bashplates. Brown Davis stocks one very similar to what I have now.

But I've always been unhappy with how it collects water at the back and rusts out, plus it's difficult to fit with a factory ARB front bar and proper recovery points all secured to the same set of 6 x M12 x 1.25 three captive nuts.

Another option I found is some plates made from 4 mm stainless by Custom Offroad in Brisbane.

These are looking like my likely replacement for the rusted but trusty steel one (same design as the BD one linked earlier).

There's also these from Ocam Industries.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? I'm sure there are similar ones in the USA (Slee, etc.?).

Craig.

How about treating the rust on the existing plate and drilling some drainage holes or cutting some drain slits at the low points? Cheaper than a new plate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom