Front axle work in Montgomery County? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
howdy folks - i haven't been around in a bit, but there hasn't been much news on the Land Cruiser front. it did hit 333,333mi, though!

can anyone recommend a place in or very close to Montgomery County, MD to replace the birfs, bearings, and associated bits for the front axle? this is normally something i'd do myself, but i have my hands full planning an engine pull on another car.

i know OTRAMM and LCH are just a couple hours away, but i have no way to drop the car off and get back. i was thinking about taking a few days off and hanging out in Hagerstown to relax and use some rollover vacation time, but LCH has been dropping the ball on getting me a quote; at this point, i doubt they can get the parts by Monday (the rollover PTO disappears on the 31st).

i suppose i could rent a car to drop off & pick up the truck if i really can't find a local place, but i'd rather save the money (or spend it on a getaway).

- emilio

We got a thread for this. I'm pretty sure there's a few MD mechanics posts in there.

Aren't OEM birfs $500 each? Those plus the axle service and you're probably staring down a ~$3000 job. Add on new rotors and pads, even more. Have you read through the axle service thread in the 80 series section? Watched @OTRAMM 's birf service video on youtube? If you're pulling engines I'm sure you could do an axle service in half a day with a little prep and up front research. Give Cruiser Outfitters (@cruiseroutfit) a call and get everything you need from one place. They sell high quality aftermarket parts as well as OEM and know when it's worth it to get one or the other.

Why do you think you need new birfs?

1616684566309.png

howdy, thanks for the response. i need to look at that thread again, but, frankly, it's 25 pages long and has lots of needless chatter to sift through. its passing the horizon of usability.

i have seen that video, and the work doesn't look too bad. but, i don't need another project getting in the way of this engine pull that's already been put off for two years. i also want a professional to set the wheel bearing preload, plus i need someone with brake pressure gauges to properly adjust my LSP&BV (it has a minor lift that hasn't been properly adjusted for, and i put on new calipers recently).

i'm a little undecided on new birfs, but i've seen a few recommendations that it's a good idea for a truck with this many miles and no service history. it seems like you can get a reputable set of aftermarket birfs & related parts for $700-800; i don't wheel it hard, but i do take it off-road.

- emilio

If the birfs don't click when turning there's probably no need to replace them. I would certainly inspect and swap sides to get the balls to contact the opposite side of the bell. You're more likely to need new spindles on a high mileage rig but that won't be known until you dig in. I've never adjusted the LSPV and I'm sitting around a 4 inch lift. What makes you think it needs adjusting? If it doesn't stop very well it's more likely air trapped in the system. 80s are notoriously difficult to get all the air out of the brake lines and the ABS modulator.

There is a lot of chatter in that FAQ thread but really all the info required to do the job is in the first 2 pages.

there are occasionally clicks and clunks when turning, though nothing super regular. i think literally every bushing on this thing could use replacement, so i'm sure a lot of the noises are from those, heh. i have been curious about the spindles, but i didn't think to inspect them (or even know how) the last time i had the bearings out.

i replaced all four calipers, discs, and fluid with plenty of bleeding about 1,500mi ago. that's not really that long, and the front discs are already getting lips on them while the rear discs still have some visible crosshatching (this truck is near stock weight: no armor, racks, etc.). even if the fronts typically wear more, they're clearly imbalanced. the LSP&BV is also rusted in place, so i need someone with an air hammer or something to free it.

- emilio

there are occasionally clicks and clunks when turning, though nothing super regular. i think literally every bushing on this thing could use replacement, so i'm sure a lot of the noises are from those, heh. i have been curious about the spindles, but i didn't think to inspect them (or even know how) the last time i had the bearings out.

i replaced all four calipers, discs, and fluid with plenty of bleeding about 1,500mi ago. that's not really that long, and the front discs are already getting lips on them while the rear discs still have some visible crosshatching (this truck is near stock weight: no armor, racks, etc.). even if the fronts typically wear more, they're clearly imbalanced. the LSP&BV is also rusted in place, so i need someone with an air hammer or something to free it.

- emilio
Swap the birfs side to side and... POOF! another 200K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom