Front axle U-bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I planned to change front springs this weekend but couldn't remove the U-bolts. After a quick read I know now to cut them off and replace them. My '79 FJ40 has two different size U-bolts on the passenger side but all the seller sites have four the same size in their kits.

I don't want a U-bolt flip, I only do mild off road and back and forth to work.

Should I just get three 7 3/4 and one 9 3/4?
Do the kits really have differnt sizes and the ads are all wrong?
Are the guys on the forum wrong and I should reuse the ones I have?

Replace the ubolts for sure. I think they come extra long and you just cut them to length after installation.

ubolts are made to be a one time use. that said, if you are good at maintenance and will get down and check the torque on a regular basis, you can reuse them, they won't snap or anything.

i've always just had them bent up at the local spring shop, a little long because it's easier to bolt everything up and doesn't take long to lop the ends off with a hand grinder. little rattle can and you're done

Marlin Crawler sells 8 and 9 inch and other sites say I need 3 of the 6 3/4 and 1 of the 7 3/4. It looks like I'll have to cut the Marlin bolts also.

I got 3-8" and 1-9". After installation they are about 1/2" below the plate. Not enough that I feel the need to cut them off. I do have caster shims tho.

Hi All:

What Ige wrote.

You will find having the replacement u-bolts a bit longer than needed helpful during the re-assembly of the front suspension with new leaf springs.

Then, if you feel the new front u-bolts are hanging down too much, they can be easily trimmed with either a cut-off wheel on an angle grinder, or a thick metal rated blade on a saw-all.

Good luck!

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<snip>

i've always just had them bent up at the local spring shop, a little long because it's easier to bolt everything up and doesn't take long to lop the ends off with a hand grinder. little rattle can and you're done

Make sure you do cut them off at the right length.... I had a buddy who didn't and after hitting them after one rock after another offroad they snapped off just above the UBolt plate on the bottom of the axle.

Had to spend a night out on the trail while some buddies went back to town for new ubolts. A lot of trouble (and potential to break other things when your axle falls off) to avoid 30 sec of work cutting them off.

Agreed that the easiest place to get them is your local spring shop. I bought a set from Kurt at cruiser outfitters because it was a bit cheaper when I did my spring over and I was already shipping things.

Keep an eye that you put the plates under the axle back on the right way (right rotation of 90 deg). If you put them on the wrong way they'll bow as you tighten them. I did this wrong the first time I did ubolts on my 40...

Things I learned changing out my font springs. I took the FJ to the tire shop where they can break the U-bolt nuts loose and then retighten for the trip home. To remove the spring pins I used a drift pin to turn the plate after I removed the two lock screws. Turning the plate broke the rust and the pin came out. Also, I removed the shakle and the U-bolts so the spring didn't put any pressure on the pin. I used allot of ATF-Acetone mix on everything that moved. To replace the sprngs with the new bushings, I used a jack to squeeze them into the bracket.
All-in-all it was 5 hours well spent and the ride is graeat.

Make sure you do cut them off at the right length.... I had a buddy who didn't and after hitting them after one rock after another offroad they snapped off just above the UBolt plate on the bottom of the axle.

Had to spend a night out on the trail while some buddies went back to town for new ubolts. A lot of trouble (and potential to break other things when your axle falls off) to avoid 30 sec of work cutting them off.

Agreed that the easiest place to get them is your local spring shop. I bought a set from Kurt at cruiser outfitters because it was a bit cheaper when I did my spring over and I was already shipping things.

Keep an eye that you put the plates under the axle back on the right way (right rotation of 90 deg). If you put them on the wrong way they'll bow as you tighten them. I did this wrong the first time I did ubolts on my 40...

FC20BE4C-ECB2-4F63-90EF-EC882B519006.jpeg

Ah ha! I figured out what it reminds me of

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom