Front axle shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Renegade from the 60 series forum here. I'm trying to build a front axle about 64" WMS to WMS. I was about to buy an FJ80 front when I realized how goofy the steering would be, so I dropped that plan. The next plot was to stretch the existing 60 front, but custom inner shafts are crazy expensive! So, the ideal would be to employ existing parts, thus avoiding the use of anything custom made. There are other benefits to this plan, like parts availability in the event I break something. Can anybody tell me what the configuration is of the 80 series front inner shafts? Are they 27 or 30 spline outers or something else? It would be great to be able to use the 80 inner shafts shaft with a 60 series Birfield since I already bought the Longfields for mine.

Birfs and inner axles are not interchangeable betwixt 80 series and the ones in your 60 series.

Custom length 30 spline inner shafts are ~$400/pair from Diamond Axle, I would call Brian and see what length of custom shafts that he uses/stocks.

I have seen that. It extends a 40 series to the same width as a 60. I'm trying to extend a 60 to the same width, more or less, as an 80 series without having one-of-a-kind axle shafts.

Read the tread, they can also be used to widen 60 housings, check this post;

IH8MUD Forums - View Single Post - Notched 60 front axles

IIRC the birf end spline is unique on the 80, so the axle shafts wont work with the early birfs.

The 60 uses the same length long shaft as the mini and the short shaft from the 40, the longest commonly available shafts that fit the early type birf, so widening a 60 axle requires custom shafts.

Birfs and inner axles are not interchangeable betwixt 80 series and the ones in your 60 series.

Custom length 30 spline inner shafts are ~$400/pair from Diamond Axle, I would call Brian and see what length of custom shafts that he uses/stocks.

They want $450 and he wants me to blue print the stupid thing, as if he doesn't already know what the dimensions of the 60 shafts are. I'm not too interested in disassembling my whole axle just to measure the shafts because noboby seems to be able to add three inches to the existing dimentions.

Is my frustration showing?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom