Front Axle Seal leaking AGAIN right after replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

My front axle seal on the drivers side of my '83 BJ60 started leaking gear oil into the birfield and onto the brake and wheel, etc. I replaced the inner axle seal and trunion bearings and felts etc. Its been 5 months and I'm leaking gear oil onto my brake again. I can't remember which kit I used, but wondering which kits y'all recommend or which inner axle seal. I am reading now that some of the seals are not as good as others, especially if there is a bit of wear on the axle. I am reading that the Marlin is a good one. Is there a best place to buy this stuff in BC? Thanks in advance.

Also, is the brass bushing in the spindle ok still?

I've also found grease always seems to leak oil (notice it's always oily under where you keep your grease gun?). I tend to put a lot of grease in the knuckles. I find I always get a bit of oil leak from the grease when it starts to get old - usually from the knuckle seals though.

As @seapotato said the Toyota knuckle tool is crucial to centring the axle in that seal.

Also you could check for a plugged housing breather.

If you drive with your hubs locked a lot the brass spindle bushing can wear out allowing the birfield to flop around and prematurely wear out that seal

Did you check the surface on your axle where it seals for any imperfections?

Your housing could have gotten slightly bent and that’s why the original stack of shims no longer lines the axle up in the seal. They usually get tweaked between the ball and spring.

By the way i have to check it was returned to me but I have a knuckle centring tool I lend out.
5E121D29-E8AF-473E-8D04-1DD8CC6A4C00.jpeg

I have had very good luck with Marlin seals for years, the only truck they seem not to work well in is the 80 series. You might of just got unlucky while assembly and nicked the seal?? I think the most common issue is people assembling the axle with no oil or grease on the seal or shaft.. Good luck..

I just used the same shims and I did not use the alignment tool! The axle shaft also had a minor groove worn in it but it didn't seem bad enough to warrant replacing it.

I have had very good luck with Marlin seals for years, the only truck they seem not to work well in is the 80 series. You might of just got unlucky while assembly and nicked the seal?? I think the most common issue is people assembling the axle with no oil or grease on the seal or shaft.. Good luck..
Yes that's a possibility. I would hope I greased the shaft but I can't remember now

Your housing could have gotten slightly bent and that’s why the original stack of shims no longer lines the axle up in the seal. They usually get tweaked between the ball and spring.

By the way i have to check it was returned to me but I have a knuckle centring tool I lend out.
View attachment 2349140
Wow that's super generous. I would love to borrow this when I tear back into it. Is the FSM what folks are using for instructions? I followed a youtube video but it obviously wasn't comprehensive.

Did you check the surface on your axle where it seals for any imperfections?
There was a bit of a groove, so I pulled my old axle shaft out of my parts truck and it was even worse.... what is the solution if it is grooved? A sleeve? I did look into this and even purchased one that was recommended but the sleeve was way too narrow, it was only about a 1/4" wide so there is no way it would have centered on the seal or the groove.

As @seapotato said the Toyota knuckle tool is crucial to centring the axle in that seal.

Also you could check for a plugged housing breather.

If you drive with your hubs locked a lot the brass spindle bushing can wear out allowing the birfield to flop around and prematurely wear out that seal
I checked the breather and cleaned it out when I changed the seal, but no I didn't use an alignment tool. I did consider that the brass bushing could be worn. If I need to replace axle shafts and those brass spindles it almost starts to feel like I should just find a better axle somewhere.,

09512CF9-2C8A-4BF3-B524-72B53269BA1C.png

I would stick with your axle unless you find something real wrong with it. They aren’t making them new any used one you buy could have the same or worse problems.

There was a bit of a groove, so I pulled my old axle shaft out of my parts truck and it was even worse.... what is the solution if it is grooved? A sleeve? I did look into this and even purchased one that was recommended but the sleeve was way too narrow, it was only about a 1/4" wide so there is no way it would have centered on the seal or the groove.

You can usually set seals at a slightly different depth by not setting them to the bottom of their seat or setting it deeper depending on your situation. that way the lip of the seal no longer sits in the worn groove.

I think the old "re use the shims" trick isn't as effective as it used to be.
20 years ago there was a decent chance they were original or serviced by Toyota. Now, it's pretty much guaranteed they've been apart and you're basically trusting a previous owner did things right...

Which isn't usually a good idea. :lol:

That said... I reused my shims. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom