Front axle reverse cut and turn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First post... Been lurking for awhile. This is a great community and the information here is invaluable.

My Brother @tuckero23 and I (and my 9 yo son) are slowly working on a '62/75 FJ40 frame off resto/lite-mod. This 40 is a clean 62, but was "upgraded" to early 75 running gear, 4 speed, and 2f engine. It had also had a SOA lift and the front axle has been cut & turned, to approx 12 degrees of pinion deflection. We are trying to keep this build relatively stock spring geometry, and are going with an OME 2.5" suspension set up in the original SUA configuration.

So my question is what pinion angle shoud we shoot for with this set up? The current angle looks pretty extreme to me, and we are thinking we should do the old re-cut & turn back the opposite direction. Should we go as far as a complete mock up and measure/tak it up, then weld up? Or should we be able to do it on the bench to 6 degrees ish? Or, just buy a new housing and start from scratch?

I have checked out the cut & turn thread in the stickies. Looks like the stock angle is 4 degrees.

Thanks for any input. I will get a build thread going here pretty quick, have a ton of pictures.

20221211_150630.jpg
20221211_150546.jpg
20221211_150536.jpg

caution, cutting thru the welded portion may be a pita, lots of cutting wheels, may be fine but in the past it has proven tough.

you are just going back to stock setup, spring under, with lift springs?

seems easier to just find another housing, anything after 1970 will work.

caution, cutting thru the welded portion may be a pita, lots of cutting wheels, may be fine but in the past it has proven tough.

Roger that, I figured I would go inside of the weld 3/8".
you are just going back to stock setup, spring under, with lift springs?

seems easier to just find another housing, anything after 1970 will work.
Yes back to stock with lift springs. The spring set up was pretty janky after the modification to fit the newer axles and springs. This 40 will not see alot af hard use and there a sentimental reasons to be close to original.

I agree the easy way to go is a new housing. Especially if stock angles are ok. We almost ordered one yesterday.

Save the effort and buy (or trade for) an uncut stock housing. You can sell your SOA housing to someone looking to lift their truck. Like this guy:
@rastaone

Decided to do it the hard way. Logistics of getting a new one here before Christmas was main reason to takle it. Couple hours here and there. Think we are going to set at 6 degrees. Getting close to ready for welding it up.
20221217_165649.jpg
20221217_165848.jpg
20221224_160256.jpg
20221224_160302.jpg
20221224_160917.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom