Front Axle Removal for Diff Cx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
Remind me what is the MINIMUM disassembly required to replace the front diff centre (3rd member) on a full-time 4WD 80 series with OPEN diffs.

I only need to slide the axles back far enough to clear the diff centre.

From memory, I still need to pull the spindles to get the axle back far enough because the birf joints foul the back of the spindles?

I’d pull the axles so they aren’t hanging on the inner seals while you are working on the diff. Sure would be a bummer to get it all back together and have leaky seals and get to do it again.

I have the rebuilt centre ready to go in. Wanting to make the swap as fast as possible, hence the question.
I know its a simple task for rear diff centre, but can't recall what's required for the front.

For the front:
In order:
Pull wheels
Drive flanges
Brake calipers (hang with wire so they don't pull on hoses)
Wheel hubs (don't drop the outer bearing in the dirt)
Spindle, spindle seal, break dust cover.
Grab outer axel and rotate the birf so the flats are on top and bottom, slide axels out and lay aside on cardboard or put in garbage bag to keep clean. Don't leave the axels in the housing, they could mess up the inner axel seal.
By the time you have all this out, you might as well change the inner axel seal anyway.

Couldn't you just pull the snap ring, undo the steering arms/trunnion caps and the knuckle ball wiper seals and slide the whole hub and spindle and knuckle off as one piece? Wouldn't have to mess with bearing preload/cleanup

I guess you could. You'd pull the lower arm and rotate the knuckle off, But there wouldn't be any control of the axel and one might cock up the inner axel seal.
And there would still be plenty of clean up required.

Yeah, I think the standard way is best and only requires one pair of hands....
The bearings are due a retorque anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom