Front Axle Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have green oil coming out of the drivers side hub. The oil is brand new. (wasnt' green new ::) ) I am in pretty desperate need of a all-out front axle rebuild. I highly doubt that the front axle has ever been serviced. What parts do I need to do the rebuild/repack? I want to go ahead and do it all while I'm in there, hub rebuild, wheel bearings, birf, and all. I really don't know much about the procedure, I read the techs on this. I'm pretty good at putting things back together like I found them with new parts. This kind off work is brand new to me. If anyone has any clues or hints or suggestions I would really like to hear them. Especially what parts I need and where i can get them. And if there are parts than can be "wait and see" I would like to go ahead and buy new ones to have on hand, since my 40 is my DD.

I figure my hubs deserve a rebuild while I'm at it as well, SOR sells a Warn Hub Service kit for the #193 and #239 hubs. Heres a picture of my hub, I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what model hubs I have.
font%20hub.jpg

Get a knuckle rebuild kit. I think I have seen them for a good price at http://www.heartoftexasoffroad.com/, but check around. The wheel bearings including races are at Napa for a decent price. They have them in stock usually. The rebuild is not that bad, a haynes book even for a mini-truck will help with the process.

go for it!

you'll need a manual, do one side at a time, have a box ready to receive all those cheesy parts, have lots of rags or shop towels ready, go ahead and buy new seals and gaskets, and I always like to replace the felts and rubber rings for the inside wiper. I suggest not purchasing new wheel bearings until you have inspected yours... they might be good. I do suggest new king pin or trunion bearings (the ones for the steering arms, forget actaul name). those are usually always shot.

Have something ready to clean parts. That is the biggest part.

and here is the best part, once you complete this job at home in the shop or garage, your confidence is very high should you have to do this on the trail.

If you are a TLCA member, you can save 25% on all this stuff from a few Toyota shops, or buy a kit from someone like Kurt Williams in Utah, I forget his shops actual name but he sells a complete kit.

by the time you do your 3rd front axle, it will become work. The first one is always fun!

Great! I've already got a Haynes manual, but I'll be acquiring the set of FSM's as well soon. I'll try to find a good kit and get it, and set aside a weekend to do it. Would a parts washer be a big help? The guy that wrote the tech article just used a big tub with STP degreaser. I would rather use a parts washer and not strip paint off the parts like his degreaser did.
Can anyone tell me which model those warn hubs are? I really need to get the rebuild kit for those as well.

i just saw some axle and knuckle rebuild kits, but i can't remember where!

i try and go back and find em for you again. i've been all over the internet the last couple days, so it might take a while.

jonathan

If the photo you included is the hub on your cruiser then you don't have Warn hubs; you have the same Selectro hubs that I have on my 1979 FJ40. The bad news is that Selectro is no longer in business (as Selectro); but the good news is that they were bought out and are now part of MileMarker. One source for a rebuild/repair kit is <www.precisiongear.com> which lists a kit # MM466 for the TLC. [Standard disclaimer: I have no connection to Precision Gear, yada yada yada....]
Keep us posted on how the rebuild/repairs go to the hubs and the rest of the front axle. My hubs are OK at present, but rebuilding them is less a matter of whether than when!

Hey thanks a lot Zoomie! I was getting ready to call Sor and ask them how to decide which model I had! Boy I would have sounded like an idiot. I'll try precision gear and see what I find, and I'll post up how it goes, maybe I'll even write a tech page!

[quote author=bsilva132 link=board=1;threadid=3992;start=0#msg29353 date=1059498023]
Morgan Fletcher did a pretty good write up on a front axel rebuild. www.birfield.com/~morgan
[/quote]
Thanks, thats one of the ones I've been reading.

ya, those hubs look like Selectros to me also. some folks don't like them due to the way they stick out and can actually be unlocked by a rock or other stuff. personally, I would just clean them up while doing the axle and run them. Remember, you do nto pack the hub full of grease, just lightly grease the parts and leave it.

check out cruiser outfitters in Sandy Utah, that is Kurts shop.

and yes, parts washer would work great! Mine had paid for itself many times over especially with front axle rebuilds.

the hardest part for you will be removing the cone washers, large drift straight down on the stud will break it free. suggest leaving the nut on the very top to avoid chewing up the threads on the stud.

also, I broke a selectro hub on a ford I had and milemarker sent me a new milemarker set... good service.

Holy big picture, Batman!

[quote author=TRT2 link=board=1;threadid=3992;start=0#msg29376 date=1059512026]
ya, those hubs look like Selectros to me also. some folks don't like them due to the way they stick out and can actually be unlocked by a rock or other stuff. personally, I would just clean them up while doing the axle and run them. Remember, you do nto pack the hub full of grease, just lightly grease the parts and leave it.

check out cruiser outfitters in Sandy Utah, that is Kurts shop.

and yes, parts washer would work great! Mine had paid for itself many times over especially with front axle rebuilds.

the hardest part for you will be removing the cone washers, large drift straight down on the stud will break it free. suggest leaving the nut on the very top to avoid chewing up the threads on the stud.

also, I broke a selectro hub on a ford I had and milemarker sent me a new milemarker set... good service.
[/quote]
I'm now looking for a parts washer :D
Any contact info for Cruiser Outfitters? Would they have a complete knucke rebuild kit?

I have the small parts washer from Northern tool. It has worked dreat for me for the small parts. I have also used the big model. If you have room for for that one. I think it was about $75. The key is getting the good parts cleaner, simple green ,etc don't do that great of a job. Northern also sells some highly flamable stuff, but it works great.

[quote author=73lndcrsr link=board=1;threadid=3992;start=0#msg29419 date=1059526130]
I have the small parts washer from Northern tool. It has worked dreat for me for the small parts. I have also used the big model. If you have room for for that one. I think it was about $75. The key is getting the good parts cleaner, simple green ,etc don't do that great of a job. Northern also sells some highly flamable stuff, but it works great.
[/quote]
MMMMM Flammable :D
Sounds good, looks like this weekend I'm hitting up Northern. Thanks for the heads up on the cleaner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom