front axle rebuild next week (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm going to rebuild my fj60 front axle next week. It may never have been done - based on the really ugly noises it makes. I'm pretty sure the birfs are clicking too. I have all the parts/materials I think I'll need (OK, let me keep my little fantasy going!) but am not sure what (if anything) to do about the birfs. It's a DD, and I do light off-roading, though probably "moderate" once I fix my transfer. No lockers, light foot. Longfields seem to be the cheapest (if I provide the core) - and it's only about a one hour drive to Bobby's place.

I'm not rich, but I like to fix things such that they last as long as possible.

What do you guys recommend? (I did a search, and read a bunch of posts, but didn't get an answer to this question.)

Thanks for your help as always.

Best Regards,

Doug Graham

if its only an hour to new birfs, i'd just wait and see what it looks like.
good luck!

Pull them out, inspect for damage, if there is not any apparent damage then repack them and go wheelin.

longfields are a great product. but if you have never broken a birfield in the first place then you probably do not need them.

one of the reasons longfields hold up so well is that he makes them less brittle (read softer) so shock loads do not shatter the bell. However, this will cause the birf to wear out at a much higher rate (mind you I have not heard of anyone "wearing out" a long) Fora daily drive that sees a lot of road miles and has never even broken a birf. Personaly I would learn how to replace a birf (you will learn that when you repack them) get one spare to CYA and leave it at that.

Ditto what Mace said. Inspect for cracks and repack them. Pick up a spare for the trail bag.

what causes the clicking?

OK, good advice. All of it makes sense - plus, making what I've got work (if possible) is cheaper - always a good thing. I've read about how to dissassemble, clean and repack a birf...but if I do this will it get rid of "clicking." Assuming that mine aren't cracked/broken, are there parts to replace?

Hope these questions aren't too stupid. I rebuilt the front axle on my fzj80 a few months ago, and other than knocking the axle alignment/guide ring out of place from w/in the axle, the whole deal went pretty well. I'm kind of looking forward to the project on my 60!

Thanks again for the honest and practicle advice.

Doug Graham

Clicking could be coming from a variety of sources..

Pull apart the axle and clean it up. And take a look..

Generally you do not replace parts in a birfield. You just replace the whole thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom