Front axle rebuild - how much clearance do I need to either side of the truck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working in a 10ft wide storage unit. Will I be able to get the axles out of the axle housing if I center the truck in the unit? Thanks.

I'd do the math, if only I had the numbers! How long are the axles on each side? Can I do this with the knuckles turned for a little extra clearance? Thanks for that link, @retrofive .

im interested in knowing this as well

IIRC you need about three feet on each side, partly for the long axle shaft but also enough room to bend over, kneel down, sit on the floor, and then some room for your work tools. If space is really tight you could first park the vehicle far over to say the driver's side, work on the passenger side and button it up, then move the vehicle over so the passenger side is now close to the opposite wall and work on the driver's side.

you cant just do it in the yard or something? takes like 4 hours if you have all the tools you need.

you cant just do it in the yard or something? takes like 4 hours if you have all the tools you need.

We live at 10k feet. It's a little cold. And it's snowing. And also I have absolutely no faith in our ability to get it done in four days, let alone four hours.

We live at 10k feet. It's a little cold. And it's snowing.

no location listed and a picture of florida's flag would suggest you like at 10 feet and its hot as balls. my bad.

no location listed and a picture of florida's flag would suggest you like at 10 feet and its hot as balls. my bad.
Really, I do need to change that one day. We moved to Colorado but the Florida flag is just so pleasing to my eyes.

just update your location :p

i would suggest you find more room to do the job. its quick work, just hella messy. to slide the long side out you are going to need at least 4 feet of room on the driver's side, if not more.

If your switching the BIRFS you need both BIRFS out and you can not steer it when you disconnect the Tie Rod or Drag Link.
Unless weather prohibits I would do it outside.

If you have a set of midget mechanics do this job please post the pictures, preferably next to the 31" Tire.
I have nothing against little people, as I'm 5'8" myself.

I did the math and I think the unconfortable tight working conditions would be a toss up between the cold. If you pulled the rig in with the center line of the hood at 72 inches from driver side wall you would have roon to pull the axle and work In relative comfort. The Passenger side would be tight. Leaving only about 16'' from drive flange to the storrage unit wall. I think you could move the driver side over 1 or 2 Inches to gain a little, and the birfs and axle to some degree can be angled as you pull them and the truck angled as well to make more room then the center line would be 69 or 70 Inches. I could do It when I was young and chuckle about how uncomfortable It was but today with my severely dammaged hands ,NO way. The bottom line Is with the rough measurements I took I believe It can be done and I have lived my life by that conviction, and have paid a Heavy Price for It. I would Offer my shop If you were close or even far and I believe In the character of the Men on this site and I'm sure there Is someone close to you that will help. Be safe and good Luck..! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom