Front axle Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I've rebuilt front axles (seals, bearings, etc.) on a Toyota mini truck, two 40's, and an FJ62. Is the 80 series front axle rebuild identical or at least similar? Given my past experience, do you guys think I can manage it? Or is it a whole 'nuther world?

Pretty similar. Couple things to watch for:
If you have factory e-lockers, make sure to lock the differential before pulling axle shafts.
Birfields come in different lengths between early and later years. If you are replacing them, make sure to get the correct shaft for your application.
There is an axle shaft guide inside the axle housing. It is possible to knock that guide loose when inserting axle shafts.
I would increase the pre-load on the axle bearings above FSM recomendation. They tend to loosen up especially with larger tires.
Otherwise, dig in.

Pretty similar. Couple things to watch for:
If you have factory e-lockers, make sure to lock the differential before pulling axle shafts.
Birfields come in different lengths between early and later years. If you are replacing them, make sure to get the correct shaft for your application.
There is an axle shaft guide inside the axle housing. It is possible to knock that guide loose when inserting axle shafts.
I would increase the pre-load on the axle bearings above FSM recomendation. They tend to loosen up especially with larger tires.
Otherwise, dig in.

Front axles do not need to be locked if lockers are present.

Only applicable to the rear lockers when pulling rear axle shafts.

Replace the knuckle shims as they were, usually only one on the top cap. No other sized shims needed, no clearances need to be measured or adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom