Front axle problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am new to the Toyota axles. Looking for some input and any tips or tricks that would help I’m pretty sure the axle seal is bad. But I just had the front end fully rebuilt with seals bearings and axles. I have put on maybe 2000 miles since the rebuild. But know the birds seem to be leaking and the driver side hub is leaking do you think the new seals will reseat??
AEE8DF23-283C-47A2-ACC8-5EFE3ABB7DF4.jpeg
0C539B33-1132-47FC-8023-536FB864254E.jpeg
AA711D73-4E1F-4AC5-90AA-EBF7DA78C679.jpeg
0E95B91A-2C52-43E5-B095-AAF0C0818FF7.jpeg
37E77668-A918-42E7-88D9-A37528B87996.jpeg

It does’t look like the typical inner axle seal leak. What is leaking? Gear lube, grease or brake fluid. It looks like the drive flange gasket or end cap is leaking.

It does’t look like the typical inner axle seal leak. What is leaking? Gear lube, grease or brake fluid. It looks like the drive flange gasket or end cap is leaking.
I think it’s grease but it is a little thin I think not 100% sure. I am going to take the wheel off when we get back to check and make sure everything is tight

1) That's not a factory type seal on the ball side of the knuckle.
2) Check your axle vent line on top of the left side of the axle. You need to remove the fitting, drill out or clear the fitting, and clean out the breather body and hose or add about 5 ft of 1/4" fuel hose to extend your breather and install a fuel filter on the top end.

Your axle housing is heating up and there is no place for the pressure to go and the weakest link is being the hub seal on the end. It's also forcing gear oil into the knuckle (Birfield) area and into the wheel bearing area.

Take it back to the shop to take care of the breather and replace the grease into the correct areas.

this is happening to mine within 2 weeks of changing the inner seals. if i remove breather hose and blow, it blows easy, so i kno wit isn't blocked.
its getting pretty frustrating. axles has been taken down 4 times and new seals put in every time

For some reason these trucks spit out any none OEM seal you put in them 🤷‍♂️ ;)

this is happening to mine within 2 weeks of changing the inner seals. if i remove breather hose and blow, it blows easy, so i kno wit isn't blocked.
its getting pretty frustrating. axles has been taken down 4 times and new seals put in every time
Just inside the inner seal is supposed to be a separate ring attached to the axle housing. Are yours still there? Theses support the axle shaft during Installation so it doesn't wreck the seal.

Also, if your trunnions are not installed properly or your spindle bushings are heavily worn, the axle won't be supported and it will chew up the seal.

What do the "bad seals" look like? Any obvious damage in one area?

Wheel bearings must not be loose either. About 30 LB-FT on the inner nut.

It's not a replaceable part , think of it as a washer that is fixed to axle housing. it can only be seen with the axle and the axle seal removed.
There have been cases were people have found them lose in the axle housing or missing altogether.

oh horrrr
well if i have to pull back down in a couple weeks, i will order new OEM seals, the over drier tool and will check on the sleeve. i am really hoping i dont have too

Poke around a bit and you'll see that something is up with your knuckle seal kit. There should have been a felt ring covering and protecting the rubber that you see. The "leak" you see on the ball side is just grease - it's supposed to be there - but the felt is meant to soak some of that up.

OK guys, 90w gear oil smells like no other, grease well not seep out in less your axle is on fire.
So if you have stuff seeping out of you dust cover like the first Picture in post one, I guarantee it's going to smell like 90w which guarantees there a seal issue.
Although it's nice, the seal over-driver is not necessary. Just find a socket that the same size as the seal and drive the seal carefully past flush.
Last thing The Toyota Gods don't like to see TG dust covers on the truck. most likely the rest of the axle rebuild kit is all TG like the none OEM sweeper seal on the back side of the knuckle.
If your taking you Rig to a shop insist on OEM parts. it well save you and you mechanic time and headaches. If they don't want to use OEM parts find another mechanic. If they say they only use OEM part that should be music to your ears!!!

Last edited:
Also, the OP in the first pic has a end cap that is mangled and is leaking as well.

That cap also seals the front from water as well as keeping in the grease.

Make sure the cap is in good shape. If not, get a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom