front axle nut bolt size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got stuck this weekend trying to replace front rotors. That huge nut on the axle shaft threw me for a loss. What is the size of the socket that will fit on that monster? 2nd problem is that the protruding end of the axle prevents anything less than a very deep socket.

anyone with first-hand knowledge of the exact tool to take this thing off?

A 54mm Hub Socket from Toyota! I ordered one from CDan to do my front axle. There were chisel marks in the hub nuts where someone else had previously taken them off with a chisel and hammer.

Yep, 54mm. Keep in mind that there is also a tab bent over that nut that you need to bend away before you remove the outer.

did a thread on that, way back when, with discussions of the various tools.

2-1/8" is equivalent and they sell a big socket at Sears if you have a store handy. You can also find a tool truck that will usually have hub sockets. The Craftsman is 3/4" drive so you may need an adapter down to 1/2".

-B-

front axle nut

Thanks guys. I found some stuff by searching the threads.

Now after raising the front end off the ground, maybe y'all can tell me how to hold the axle to keep it from rotating while trying to remove this nut. I would have thought you remove the nut while the wheels are on the ground, b4 taking the tire off..

are you in neutral? try putting it in park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom