Front axle - leak at wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Nice to be here. I've just purchased an FJ80 w/233k miles. I brought it to a local shop as it needs a lot of work done. The mechanic was dismayed at the sight of the front differential /axle. I had a sense it wasn't as serious as he claimed (full replacement is what he told me).

I did a lot of searching here and found that since it was leaking at the wheels, it may be the inner seals that are gone and "birf soup" is what is coming out. I wasn't quite sure however so I've attached pics here to get your opinions.

The truck runs and shifts fine currently. Can we know if it is the seals or birfs or any other part that is needed from the images? Also what would be the expected cost would be parts & labor (given there isn't anything more serious going on). Last but not least, if anyone can recommend a shop in the NYC area that would be good for this repair. Thanks all, much appreciated.

IMG_0058.png

IMG_0057.png

Looks typical, needs maintenance, not replacement. The mechanic needs replacement.

Truck details?

Year, mileage, color, options, pics of :princess:

Looks like very typical signs of the need for getting that axle servioed. In the meantime, you should check the birfs to see what level of moly is in there . There's a square head plug sitting at the top of the swivel housing in your pics that you can pull to look down into the area where the birf resides. It should be roughly half full or a little more with moly. Given this looks like something that's been going on for some time, it is probably a good idea to check the fluid in the diff.

^^^What they all said^^^

This is what you can plan for once it's cleaned up:

Thanks everyone. Super helpful info. Really nice to confirm what I suspected, that this is not out of the ordinary. The mechanic is relegated to brakes and other items he can handle :)

check the grease level in the knuckles and check your gear oil level in the diff and plan on replacing the seals later. messy job but not unreasonable to do if you have the time and space, but seeing as your in nyc if you dont have access to a garage its not really a quick job to try to take on in the street

Thanks everyone. Super helpful info. Really nice to confirm what I suspected, that this is not out of the ordinary. The mechanic is relegated to brakes and other items he can handle :)
The rebuild kit is $300 from Cruiser Outfitters and will take a day for the experienced mechanic to do both sides.

Your mechanic is not a mechanic but rather a salesman.

I am sure I could do this myself but since I live in nyc I don't have the adequate tools or space to do so. If someone around here does, I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty. Otherwise it's going to a shop that knows what they're doing

Nice vintage 80.

Doing the front knuckle job is a right of passage when you buy a Land Cruiser. It's an easy job to do wrong, but only you will care enough to do it right. You must have a friend with a bit of space-you can knock this job out in a weekend even if you are inexperienced, and save $1000 at the same time.

Nice looking early 80.

Doing the front knuckle job is a right of passage when you buy a Land Cruiser. It's an easy job to do wrong, but only you will care enough to do it right. You must have a friend with a bit of space-you can knock this job out in a weekend even if you are inexperienced, and save $1000 at the same time.

Nice looking early 80.

That feels 100% correct and I would love to do it. Space on the street is one thing but I also don't have any tools

Mud math... Cost of tools is cheaper than cost of labor. Labor can only have a single return on investment. Tools keep returning on investment. Space is really your issue. If someone take beerans pizza payment you are good to go for some space.

Mud math... Cost of tools is cheaper than cost of labor. Labor can only have a single return on investment. Tools keep returning on investment. Space is really your issue. If someone take beerans pizza payment you are good to go for some space.

Also 100% correct. Full disclosure, the original purpose for this truck is to take on a 4 month + road trip out west this winter. The intent was to sell it afterwards when I move back to the city. Tools make less sense in that scenario. But I don't think I will want to sell it. That would be dumb.

Understood. It won't be fast but it should be durable and you will likely bond to it in that time.

What he doesn't do on this video is need or smear grease into the felt wiper that way it will not ebsorb water.

Lots of potential in that rig. Looks like the body is well intact. I am going to have to do front knuckles myself at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom