Front Axle Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I drained the gear oil in my front diff about 3 weeks ago the stuff that came out looked like silver tooth paste, also the ammount of grease on the wipers is very minimal,ie: almost dry, I ran the truck for another 300 miles and drained again this past weekend and same thing not quite as thick but it wasn't just gear oil, the other thing that scares me is the large chunk of metal that came out on the second drain, it is big enough to barely fit on a nickle, i have been changing my diff oil with every oil change for the past year that i have owned the truck and it has been fine up until now, any ideas or does it have to be an inner seal gone bad, oh yeah 92 cruiser, front e locker, 195,000 miles, sees lots of trail miles, TIA Brad. ???

Brad,
how much greas do you have left in the knuckles?? if they are full and in good condition then you are probably ok. except for the chunk of steel. check into it and maybe post a pic of your offending chunk.
Dave

Phaedrus- Is this normal for 80 series gear oil to look like that?
I don't have a digital camera to take a pic of the chunk of metal, I don't think it is part of the ring or pinion i've seen what it looks like when they break and this different, I also check the birf grease at every oil change, in the square plug hole, and it has also been fine, I talked to the po and he said the inner seals are fairly new. What should my next step be to single out the problem? Brad. ???

Brad,
you probably have the inner seals going on you -H- is on it. have you had to add any grease to the knuckle and if os what type of grease? I would sleep better knowing the seals were in and correct. as a general rule the PO was a moron who trusted the toyota mechanic to do it right. not the safest bet.
on the second note I a interested in the fornt e locker as well, how did you score that and what do you have in the rear?
Dave

Phaedrus- the po is an awsome dude, i just feel bad because i call him every time some little thing goes wrong with the truck, so i thought i would use this resource this time, it is Ben Swain's old truck of Slee, as far as the front locker goes, it was there when i bought the truck and is great when it is working, i had the actuater go out on me and now i'm worried something else is broken on the locker, Brad. ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom