front axle GRRR? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I've search but it my GRR seems to be a new issue. Whats happening, deceleration there is a GRR noise coming from the front end especially going downhill with just releasing the throttle. Suspects, Ujouints, Slip joint, driveshaft ect. Steps Ive taken is swap out the driveshaft from my DC to standard and problem is still there. Removed the driveshaft with center diff lock on, grr is no longer there.

little backround, just installed a new 3rd member with 5.29 gears with an ARB. Just broken in with 500 miles and did a Drain and refill, fluid was black as normal but no visible metal in the oil. When installing the 3rd I Regreased the birfs. Backlash looks good with the gears but moving the tires front and back I hear a clicking noise on the shafts. My next step is to regrease the axles/brass spindles. Does anyone else know what can be going on? Bad ARB unit? Bad inner axles?There is a little bit of slack when the tires are up in the air both. Rotating the tires about 1/8 of a turn the the other tire counteracts.

Could be something in the diff, pinion bearing comes to mind.

Well I think I just got it fixed. After the diff oil change I raised the front end up in the air and turned the locker on and saw if the tires locked when trying to rotate and they did. Then unlocked and both spun counter of each other as supposed to, then cycle again for 3-5 times. I then drove it on a normal drive up and down the hills and guess what no more noise. WTH? I guess it’s fixed.

Mine makes the same grrrr on deceleration. Still haven't figured mine out. Already replaced wheel bearings and truniion bearings. Next will be driveshaft i suppose.

I’ve got the same low pitched growl above 60 MPH when I feather off the throttle, doesn’t seem to do it if I completely come off the throttle. My VC was toast when I got my rig and I think it had been for some time. I’ve yanked the VC, rebuilt the birfs with new spindles and bearings. I’m going to pursue the front DS next. I’m hoping it’s just worn u joints acting up after a new suspension and caster plates.

The slack throttle grrrr in mine turned out to be the rear driveshaft. Worn slip yoke, needed to replace the whole shaft (u-joints did not fix) 330k miles. I was pretty convinced the sound was coming from the front, but it turned out to be the rear.

Found this too. Wow ARB, thankfully mines not like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom