Front axle differences (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm preparing for the mini truck disk brake swap for my 10/71. I have a 7/69 axle that I was thinking of doing the conversion on so I could still drive the cruiser and then swap out the axles when done.

I happened to be flipping thru an older SOR catalog and their "front disc brake change over kit" says its for 7/70-9/75. It uses all LC parts, no mini stuff.

What's different about the 69 axle from the 71?

I looked thru the FAQ's, tech and search to no avail.

Hi All:

Honestly, I thought all the 1969-75 FJ40 drum brake front axles were the same.

I would swap the wide-pattern knuckles onto your existing front axle housing. It is not that difficult to swap the later knuckles and brake parts onto a drum brake axle housing. Doing the swap on another axle housing will mean you have to un-do (and likely replace) the front u-bolts, and have to un-bolt the front drive shaft.

Good luck!

Alan

I know; I thought they were the same too.

My realistic time frame for a conversion could be up to 6 months, that's why I thought about doing it on the '69 axle and having it ready when I had the time to swap.

According to SOR, there might/must be something different about a '58-'7/70 axle.

only difference would be whether it is a ball and claw axle. I heard of a memer who had a ball and claw axles on a 69.
Mr Toyota using up old inventory??

I could see a ball and claw on a early '69 axle, but a July one?

I guess the first step would be tearing the '69 apart to see whats in there....

Check the bolt sizes for the drive shaft, the older pre 1969 axles will have 8mm holes and drive shaft bolts and the 1969 to 75 will have 10 mm holes.

I could see a ball and claw on a early '69 axle, but a July one?

I guess the first step would be tearing the '69 apart to see whats in there....

The dealership once told me Aug was the start of the "new model year":D

Making my July 74 a 74. Aug 74 would be considered a 75.

My July 69 was considered a 70. At least in the eyes if the DMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom