front axle breather revisited (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was checking my stock breather and it was sticky so I resolved to improve the stock breather to reduce the liklihood of front axle issues.

I did the flapper ectomy but decided on a different terminal location for the breather. discuss.....
breather mod.jpg
breather tip.jpg

you've a radical approach there, stay. however, that would mean you can't lower your antenna (should there be a need) and there's that possibility that the tire would snag the cable based on the clearance i see on the pic. no offense but it looks out of place.

did mine 4 months back. breather is located near the brake fluid reservoir.

A less useless option would be to install a snorkle and plumb it into the snorkle. As it is your engine will suck in water before your front diff. That seems a little silly to me. I hope you did it as a joke.

I stategically placed the zip ties on the antenna so That it can be lowered. It doesn't go down all the way but almost all the way. I've found that if I lower it a little bit the rubber line forms a loop that I can attach my hammock to. Hmmm. I better check out the tire rubbing issue.....At least it isn't right ON the tire like in Cdan's rear axle version...

next up are the gear boxes and the rear axle if I route them all here I may need the snorkle....I don't think the antennae will take all of that weight AND still be able to suppor tthe hammock.... :confused:

Joke, right? I hope so.

HA HA HA>
Sean

What I like about that is that as the water goes deeper over the hood, you can extend the breather up farther above the water line.

Doc said:
What I like about that is that as the water goes deeper over the hood, you can extend the breather up farther above the water line.
exactly...Up periscope....

A joke son a joke, red white and blue. If I did the mod for more than the 30 seconds it took to take the pictures I would have to kick my own ass. (ala happy gilmore and golf clothes)

dang, i'm back to 22 posts once this gets consigned to you know where.

still, i believe it was a serious effort :D

Easy cheap mod. remove the flapper in the existing breather the flapper (rubber disc) looks like this (see photo)

When I blew out my stock hose wioth compressed air I took a nice oil mist bath..I havn't smelled like 90 weight since the last time I drove my landrover..
flapper disc.jpg

Last edited:
i like it....

I have my front breather attached to a doctors stethoscope that I wear while driving. It makes a really good real-time monitoring system for the whole front end.

Now you've gone and made all the guys who went the non-retractable route rueful. Nice...

I am concerned about the mast strength, but luckily there is a simple fix. Just drill a hole in the front of the fender and one at the top of the A pillar, attach two light cable guy wires to the top of the mast, pull the front one through the hole in the fender and route it back to the mast raising motor, the other one goes through the A pillar down the motor. Machine a winch type drum and attach it to the motor shaft, then attach the wires. It's as simple as that, when the mast is lowered it's supported by self adjusting guy wires! If the women don't find you handsome,,,,,, :D

The one way valve disk is to keep debris from entering the diff, rather than just removing the disk, I would pich the whole thing and replace it with a cheap fuel filter.

There are three guys on this board now trying to figure out a way to run it to the roof rack. Two of those are planning on going the ARB route. One is using the factory rack, but worried about the limited load capacity. Of course, it's not the length of the breather extension, it's how dry you keep the end.

I remember the thread Tools is refering to. IIRC, you'll need nutserts.

Cheaper than a cheap fuel filter would be the free one that came on the front breather on a '97...excluding the price of a '97 that is.

Tools R Us said:
I am concerned about the mast strength, but luckily there is a simple fix. Just drill a hole in the front of the fender and one at the top of the A pillar, attach two light cable guy wires to the top of the mast, pull the front one through the hole in the fender and route it back to the mast raising motor, the other one goes through the A pillar down the motor. Machine a winch type drum and attach it to the motor shaft, then attach the wires. It's as simple as that, when the mast is lowered it's supported by self adjusting guy wires! If the women don't find you handsome,,,,,, :D

The one way valve disk is to keep debris from entering the diff, rather than just removing the disk, I would pich the whole thing and replace it with a cheap fuel filter.

Dude. the ladies see the second pic and get to thiking about my spring loaded flappeless breather cap. Believe me the strength of the mast had not been an issue.........Many years from now, If mast strength should become suspect, I will revisit your simple, elegant, and fully supported solution... :D

Perhaps he has a welder you could borrow, that way it would be permanent.

Good one. It made me think of the engine air intake for deep water I saw somewhere that had an actual floating ring around it. It was a real and functioning military feature on something from a ways back.

I think you should plumb your exhaust back into the air cleaner. That way, you could completely submerge and the engine would simply be using progressively dirtier air until you activated the Russian submarine surplus air scrubbers. Then, you might be good for 15 minutes of full submersion. Still go with the antenna mounted axle breather by all means, but add on Ken's (of Barbie and Ken fame) scuba tank so it also could be fed fully submerged for 15 minutes or so.

Just think what this technology could have done for a disaster like Katrina. Lines of bubbles in the streets, instead of swamped cars....

DougM

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom